Friday, June 24, 2016

Tullus: Adventures of a Christian boy in Roman times by Joe Newton, with illustrations by Bob Magnusen



My Thoughts:

I have to admit that though I love comic books, I try not to read too many of them, nor keep too many of them in our home. (They deaden the brain, right? **eye roll**) ;) Seriously, though, most of them just aren't worth keeping around. Thrillingly, THIS one is one I am more than happy to keep in our home, and will make an excellent supplement to our Ancient Rome study next time around. Best yet, it has old fashioned Christian values that are greatly lacking these days, especially in comic books.

Tullus is a Christian in ancient Rome. The story revolves around him and his friend, Nereus. Tullus was featured in "Sunday Pix" from 1949-1976, published by David C. Cook. It was created and written by Joseph(Joe) Hughes Newton, with illustrations done by his wife, Barbara. This issue is illustrated by Bob Magnusen, and is edited by Rick Norwood. I love that there's information about the comic in the front and back, so you'll get a bit of the history surrounding it. This particular issue is a reprint of the comic from the 1952 edition of Sunday Pix.

The book is put together through what used to be weekly installments, all in full color. Each page gets a week's comic, with a "to be continued" at the end. It is a year's worth of installments, and it does end with a "to be continued" on the final page. Reading along, I was able to read through the year's worth of comics quickly, but I couldn't help feeling a little nostalgic as I did so. I could just picture a young person excitedly reading each week's new addition, and then impatiently waiting another week for the next installment. The story continues on and on, though, so I also wondered how annoying it would be to get a story so slowly. I really do imagine this comic created special memories for many!

Tullus definitely has an old fashioned feel to it, and some parts of it are corny. I say the same thing about almost every classic I've read, though, even if I adored it. It seems to come with the territory of older books, especially with comic books. Helena, the female lead, made me roll my eyes a bit at her love story, but I loved the bravery and trust in God that was shown by the Christian characters. It was refreshing to read, and I want more of things like this for my boys. I greatly enjoyed making my way through the book, and I hope there will be another installment.

It appears that right now, you can only order the kindle version at Amazon. You CAN order a paper copy for $4.99, plus $3 shipping at www.comicsrevue.com/. I do love my kindle, but I really do recommend the paper copy in this case. If you're ordering for Sunday school classes, or from a Christian bookstore, you can get a discount of 40% for 10 or more copies, and 50% for orders of 100 or more. (Free shipping on discounted orders!) Go to www.comicsrevue.com/ to buy copies and to see what other classic comics are available.

I loved it, and I'm thrilled to add it to our bookshelves!

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great comic book.

    I'm interested in finding out how you get Christian comic books to review.
    Sounds like something I would like to do.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete