Tuesday, May 3, 2016

The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Facts by Maja Safstrom


Description:

An artfully playful collection of unexpected and remarkable facts about animals, illustrated by Swedish artist Maja Säfström.

Did you know that an octopus has three hearts? Or that ostriches can't walk backward? These and many more fascinating and surprising facts about the animal kingdom (Bees never sleep! Starfish don't have brains!) are illustrated with whimsical detail in this charming collection.

My Thoughts:

The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Animal Facts is a cute and interesting little book!

In its pages, we get random, yet interesting facts about 55 different animals. Each animal will get a 2 page spread with an illustration and at least one fact about it. Some animals get several facts.


Just to give you some examples of what you'll learn in here:

"Beavers' teeth are orange and they never stop growing!"

"Some butterflies never eat anything as adults because they don't have mouths...
...They must live on the energy they stored as caterpillars!"

"All clownfish are born male. When the female clownfish in a group dies, the most dominant male will turn into a female to take her place!"


While I got this book with my boys in mind, I have to admit that I LOVE books full of random facts like this. For someone like myself that is usually content to stay on the quiet side, sometimes it's hard to find things to say, especially in certain situations. I find that the more little facts like this that sit in my brain, the easier it is. Of course, it also makes me annoying, I'm sure! ;)


The Illustrated Compendium of Amazing Animal Facts is a simple book, but super cute and interesting. I love it! It's great for both children and adults.

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment