Monday, May 30, 2016

The Alliance by Jolina Persheim


Description:

When Leora Ebersole sees the small plane crash in her Old Order Mennonite community, she has no idea it's a foreshadowing of things to come. Soon after the young pilot, Moses Hughes, regains consciousness, they realize his instruments were destroyed by the same power outage that killed the electricity at the community store, where Englischers are stranded with dead cell phones and cars that won't start.

Moses offers a sobering theory, but no one can know how drastically life is about to change. With the only self-sustaining food supply in the region, the Pacifist community is forced to forge an alliance with the handful of stranded Englischers in an effort to protect not only the food but their very lives.

In the weeks that follow, Leora, Moses, and the community will be tested as never before, requiring them to make decisions they never thought possible. Whom will they help and whom will they turn away? When the community receives news of a new threat, everyone must decide how far they're willing to go to protect their beliefs and way of life.

My Thoughts:

This book is so, so good!

I quickly grew tired of reading Amish/Mennonite fiction after only a few of them. I don't typically touch them anymore. The Alliance is unlike any I've ever read, though, and is definitely worth reading, whether you typically enjoy them or not.

Reading this book will probably scare you into learning survival skills, and make you think about a world that you might not have even imagined, if you're like me. Though parts of the story are slower moving, there's still plenty of parts that are heart-racing. I was quickly turning the pages through it all.

I loved the leading lady, Leora. She has a great deal packed on her shoulders, but she's brave, even though she's also terrified. I also adored the fact that she was written to wear glasses. During my second pregnancy, something changed with my eyes, and contacts are super painful now. I've fought it hard until recently, when I finally accepted that it's glasses for me. Probably because of that, but I loved the glasses on a leading lady. Leora isn't your typical leading lady, but really there's nothing "typical" about this book. It's unique and refreshing!

There IS romance within the book, and even a love triangle, but it wasn't overdone. I didn't roll my eyes, so it wasn't corny. I felt the whole book, including the romance portion, was very well written. (Well, except for the repeated use of "could care less". "COULDN'T care less", people! I don't understand how this makes it through in so many books.) ;)

My biggest complaint is the fact that the story ends with a major cliffhanger, and now I have to wait a whole year to find out what happens. It's highly unlikely I would have picked up the book had I known this fact, and I'm super annoyed that it wasn't made clear.

Just to note, there's references to Matthew 24:1-26 , believing that it is a description of the end of times. I believe those verses to actually be a description of the destruction of the temple that was to come, not the end of times. As long as you know I don't support that line of teaching, and you don't mind waiting a whole year for the ending, I wholeheartedly recommend The Alliance! I greatly enjoyed it.

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. This books sounds so good!! I'll have to read it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete