Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Listen by Rene Gutteridge


Description:

Nothing ever happens in the small town of Marlo . . . until the residents begin seeing their private conversations posted online for everyone to read. Then it’s neighbor against neighbor, friend against friend, as paranoia and violence escalate. The police scramble to identify the person responsible for the posts and pull the plug on the Website before it destroys the town. But what responsibility do the people of the town have for the words they say when they think no one is listening? Life and death are in the power of the tongue.

My Thoughts:

For a little while, I'd given up on Christian Fiction. It seemed that all the books I was reading was just ridiculous, to be honest. I was setting aside more than I was finishing, and my eyes were tired of rolling. ;) After reading Sandra Byrd's Bride of a Distant Ilse and remembering that there ARE awesome Christian Fiction authors out there, and disliking the content I was having to deal with in most secular fiction, I started a reading list of Christian books that have been proclaimed "well written" by trusted bloggers. I'd rather support Christian writers anyway! I had to add Gutteridge's name from my own experience. I remembered how much I have enjoyed her books, and how different they tend to be. Listen had been sitting unread on my kindle, so I quickly changed that.

As I expected, Listen is a book that will make you think. It gives you a lesson in the world of gossip and judgement without resorting to a sermon. I read lots of non-fiction books, but I always appreciate a more entertaining fictional book giving me the same lesson! On top of that, there's a mystery throughout, and I quickly made my way through the pages to see if my guess was right. (It was, by the way, even if I have to admit that I also had a close runner-up that I highly suspected, too, and I swapped between the two a bit.) Even if you figure out the main mystery, there's still plenty more happening to keep you guessing until the end.

My only complaint about the book is the fact that a piece of evidence that suddenly comes into play at just the right moment was a little too convenient for my tastes. It should have been found much sooner, in my opinion. (But then the story wouldn't have kept going!)

Still, I really loved this book! There are some things I would have liked to have ended up different, and one person that I'm left worried about at the end, but it's an entertaining, yet thought provoking read.

Misery Loves Company is one I've read in the past that was great, too!

*I feel the need to edit this in, based on my opening. There are better written books out there, so I don't want to mislead anyone in that area! This is an older book, and there are little things written here and there that could have been better. Some things I found a bit confusing, like what time period this is supposed to be in, which I even had a discussion with my husband about. Some things are never completely revealed, and you're left reading between the lines. There are some things that most people would call "ridiculous", just like I mention in my opening. The form of it in this book was right up my alley, though, so I really enjoyed it! Most of it didn't bother me, but my reading tastes are a bit different. In general, though, I found this to be a great book to read when most Christian fiction is getting on your nerves. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment