Sunday, April 10, 2016

The I Quit Sugar Cookbook by Sarah Wilson


Description:

When Sarah Wilson gave up sugar for good, she developed a new repertoire of creative, go-to dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. With 306 satisfying recipes for one-pan wonders, grain-free breakfasts, leftover makeovers, smoothie bowls, and more, this comprehensive cookbook makes living sugar-free simple and sustainable.

Start quitting now, with recipes that include:
Bacon ’N’ Egg Quinoa Oatmeal
Gift-Wrapped Miso Cod
Caramelized Leek, Apple, and Rosemary Socca
Green Spaghetti and Meatballs
Two-Minute Desk Noodles
Broc Bites and Cauli Popcorn
Carrot "Bacon"
Red Velvet Crunch Bowl
Chocolate Peanut Butter Crackles
Strawberry Cheesecake Mug Cake

My Thoughts:

If you've been around here long, you know that I started the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan at the end of last year. (40 pounds are gone now, and I'm excited about getting closer and closer to my goal. :D To God be the glory!) It's a wonderful plan, but as a vegetarian, it's sometimes hard to get all of my nutrients. I've had some health issues that I'm struggling with in the past couple of months and they've been super scary. I have to be incredibly intentional with my eating, and at this point one meal gone wrong(or too light) and it messes with my body. It gets tiring to eat the same things over and over, though, so this book looked promising as far as adding some new ideas into my menus, and making sure I'm getting what I need into my body. (I do hope to do an official update post soon, for my own records more than anything.)

Obviously, from the title, this cookbook keeps us away from sugar. One of the many things that I love about the book is the fact that there are recommendations for vegans and vegetarians, too. There's a recipe for vegan "ground meat". I had to give up all my "soy meat" when I started my journey to better health, and I miss it sometimes. I don't miss the severe daily headaches, though, so I appreciate substitute foods, because I'm not going back! There's also a "carrot bacon" tip, along with many more. That said, there's also plenty of real meat recipes. I cook meat for my family, so I need those recipes, too.

My favorite part of the whole cookbook is the Abundance Bowls section. For lunch especially, I typically throw lots of various things onto a plate or in a bowl, and take the easy route. I enjoyed all the new ideas for these bowls. A close second on favorite things is the fact that many of the notes and tips and advice looks as if they've been handwritten into the pages. There are arrows pointing to specific things and circles, and it's just a fun and appealing addition to the whole thing. It makes it feel more personal.

Not everything within this book is Trim Healthy Mama plan approved, which won't be an issue for most anyway, but it appears to be somewhat easy to swap things up for most of the recipes. The same goes for vegetarian. Take out the things you don't need, and maybe even replace it with something else.


This is a big, chunky cookbook, and it's full of bright, lovely pictures. I think almost every recipe had a picture with it, though some were showcased on a separate page(but right next door to the recipe). The pages are thick and glossy, and there's tons of advice. I picked up lots of new ideas, just as I'd hoped.

If you stay away from sugar, The I Quit Sugar Cookbook is an excellent cookbook for new ideas!


*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.


*************************************************

1 comment:

  1. You are doing SO fabulously well with the THM plan. Life exploded for me and I haven't been able to figure out how to manage the food so I've just managed to hold steady at 2 lbs. lost which is not ideal but at least the pounds aren't BACK.

    I'm also with you though on the idea that it gets tiring to keep eating the same meals over and over again, repetitiously and that's the downside i see in the THM plan. It feels monotonous after only 1 month! Then again, that's still me talking from the learning stage. I'm hoping that once you get a hold of the idea of it, you can experiment more and come up with more variety.

    Anyway, sugar is a main thing that I've cut back on and so this cookbook sounds intriguing....

    ReplyDelete