Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Life Giving Home: Creating a Place of Belonging and Becoming by Sally and Sarah Clarkson


Description:

How to make home your family’s favorite place to be . . . all year long.
Does your home sometimes feel like just a place to eat, sleep, and change clothes on the way to the next activity? Do you long for “home” to mean more than a place where you stash your stuff? Wouldn’t you love it to become a haven of warmth, rest, and joy . . . the one place where you and your family can’t wait to be?

There is good news waiting for you in the pages of The Lifegiving Home. Every day of your family’s life can be as special and important to you as it already is to God. In this unique book designed to help your family enjoy and celebrate every month of the year together, you’ll discover the secrets of a life-giving home from a mother who created one and her daughter who was raised in it: popular authors Sally and Sarah Clarkson. Together they offer a rich treasure of wise advice, spiritual principles, and practical suggestions. You’ll embark on a new path to creating special memories for your children; establishing home-building and God-centered traditions; and cultivating an environment in which your family will flourish. (Don’t miss the companion piece, The Lifegiving Home Experience.)


My Thoughts: 


The Life Giving Home has officially earned the newest "hugworthy" title. I seriously just want to hug it tight. I loved it so, so much.

I have to admit, I haven't always connected with Mrs. Clarkson's writing. To be perfectly honest, that disconnection has usually came with quotes from children. I'm left thinking I don't have a chance, because we don't talk so mature, and our children definitely don't. That's why we don't compare, folks! ;) It's perfectly fine if her children talk very mature, and it's perfectly fine if mine don't. (My oldest is only 7, anyway.) Correcting my sinful mind in that area opened up my mind to all the wisdom that Mrs. Clarkson possesses. She is FULL of it! This book is also co-authored by Sarah Clarkson, and she is full of wisdom herself. I've been filling my mind and heart with the Clarksons' advice through the past couple of years, but after this book, I hope to read each and every one of their books.

So often while reading, I found myself thinking "I want that for my family!" There is tons of advice and recommendations on how to do just that. It was highly encouraging! I'm keeping this book close by at all times right now.

If you're like me, it can all get a little depressing at first. Despite being what I want for my family, life around here is so far from what is described within the book. "Baby steps" is typically the way to go with me, and is also recommended by Mrs. Clarkson. She reminds us that it's taken her years to get where she's at. Too, it's important for me to not focus so much on every little thing that isn't "perfect", and focus on the little moments and the things that do go as hoped and planned.

I appreciate her honesty, too. Life around their home wasn't perfect, and she admits so, but she also doesn't dwell on it. When I first started blogging, I needed honesty from other mamas. It seems like people are SO honest these days that the bad things in the adventure of being a mommy are dwelled upon, and I sure don't need that. At this point, I need mostly the good things to be the focus, with just enough of the hard times thrown in there to make me know I'm not dealing with perfection. Mrs. Clarkson does a perfect job of balancing the two, and I've found myself soaking up her advice more and more.

Aside from the Bible, I find myself gravitating towards the advice of Charlotte Mason and Sally Clarkson more than anyone else these days. They are full of wisdom and experience, advice, and encouragement. I already have my book all marked up from the first round of reading. Lord willing, I'll be referring to it much more through the years, and I'm sure it'll get marked up more and more. Obviously, I HIGHLY recommend The Life Giving Home! It's a treasure!

*A huge thanks to Tyndale for providing me with a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion!

1 comment:

  1. OoooOOoooOooo....I am most DEFINITELY *intrigued*!!

    ReplyDelete