Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale and Austenland, the Movie



I LOVE the movie, Austenland, and it just might be my most favorite movie at the moment. I've watched it several times, and it never ceases to make me laugh. It's so sweet and corny, and just plain fun. I even love the music, and have it on my Amazon playlist. As opposed to a comfort read, it's my comfort watch.

Being in an Austenland mood, I decided to give Midnight in Austenland a chance. I don't recall being overly fond of Austenland, the book, but I was still curious about this one. I think I've stayed away from it until now based on the fact that I wasn't sure the romance was scriptural within it. I decided that if it wasn't, I'd just put it aside. Thankfully, it is, and I was able to read with complete ease.

I had such fun reading Midnight! It was one I didn't want to put down. I'd heard it mentioned before that this one was much darker than the first book, and it is! There's a mystery taking up a large chunk of the book, and I found some of it surprising. Despite being a light and funny read, it has its dark and serious moments. The romance portion was actually much smaller than I imagined it would be, but I'm actually glad of that. It was somewhat thrown in there carelessly, even though I somewhat had my suspicions from the beginning. I still had such fun reading the book, though, that I'm willing to overlook it.

I can't talk about Austenland and not mention Jennifer Coolidge. She plays the part of Miss Elizabeth Charming and she is THE perfect person for this part. She makes the movie, for me. I can't imagine I'd like it near as much without her, even though I do love Keri Russell and JJ Field in their parts, too. It was thrilling to discover that Miss Charming plays a large role in this book, too, and it was simply too easy to picture Jennifer Coolidge while reading her part. I could hear her voice, and it was just perfection. I chuckled and smiled throughout.

If you're in the mood for a super light, but fun read, I recommend reading the first book(even though it wasn't my favorite), and then watching the movie. Then, pick up this book! At the very least, you'll get in some laughs. If you're in the mood for a deep read, save these for another time, though. For me, it was just what I needed at the moment.

*Austenland, the movie, is rated PG-13 for suggestive content/crude humor, and for good reason. There's plenty of it, but it's still a pretty clean movie, especially considering it's PG-13. I've only heard one word of profanity, and most movies of that rating have plenty more.

**Midnight in Austenland has a bit of mild profanity(more so than what I'd read in a content review, so I'm wondering if it was revised or something).

***Both the books and the movie were borrowed from my library, just for personal reference.

*****************************************************

2 comments:

  1. I love that: "comfort watch." Austenland is definitely that for me as well. It's so darn cute! At some point I'd like to read the books too. :)

    Thanks for this write-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D I sort of have to laugh at this post. I was recently invited over to a friend's house to watch the movie and I. HATED. IT! But I can totally see why you would love it! (I read the book "way back when" and recall liking it infinitely more.) Very curious about this second book now!

    (And, again, laughing ...)

    ReplyDelete