Thursday, January 7, 2016

Every Little Thing: A Flat Vernacular Coloring Book by Payton Cosel Turner


Description:

Enter a magical world filled with your favorite little things.

Wander through a 1980’s-inflected dreamscape of stuffed animals and boom boxes, dance along with a joyful parade of woodland creatures--each page of this coloring book invites you to explore a different kaleidoscope-like universe of pattern, shape and image. From the mind of Payton Cosell Turner—the creative force behind the celebrated wallpaper studio Flat Vernacular—comes this all-ages ode to the wondrous objects that make life beautiful. The coloring journey you take through these exquisite hand-drawn pages will inspire and delight.

My Thoughts:

Y'all probably know by now how much I love these coloring books, right? ;)


My sweet Jonathan got me some Prismacolor Colored Pencils for Christmas. I love them, and if possible, I enjoy these coloring books even more.

This one, Every Little Thing, confused me a bit with the description. I thought it was going to be an 80s based coloring book. I was born in the 80s and spent much of my childhood there, so I was curious. It seems I misunderstood, because there's really only 1 2-page spread that looks from the 80s. It has boom boxes, Popples, and various 80s things. Maybe others will understand more 80s type things in the pages, but it seems to simply be a huge, random mix of various items and animals.

Here's a sample of what you'll get:


The coloring pages are all spread out on 2 pages. This means that you'll color on the front and backs of pages. Many coloring books leave the back blank, but that isn't the case with this one. This might be an issue if you're coloring with markers, but I highly prefer colored pencils anyway, so I haven't had any issues with bleeding.

I somewhat like the variety of the pages, but I can't(by far) claim this one as a favorite. The drawings are super random. They're odd, but not the oddest coloring book I've seen. At least this one doesn't appear inappropriate. It's just random and odd. I wouldn't think of gifting this particular one to someone else, though. Still, I've had fun with it!

If you like coloring completely random animals and objects, you might have fun with this one. I prefer more classic type styles when coloring, but again, I've still had fun with it.

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion. 


No comments:

Post a Comment