Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Ology: Ancient Truths Ever New by Marty Machowski


Description:

A Page-Turning Storybook of Theology for Kids

In the cellar of the old stone cathedral, Carla and Timothy uncover a life-changing treasure, a carefully wrapped ancient book known as The Ology. What adults might describe as a beautifully illustrated storybook of systematic theology, the kids discover to be a story of adventure, mystery, and wonder that leads them to the truth about God, themselves, and the world around them.

Truth is for kids, not just for adults! So The Ology gives kids of all ages a beginner s theology book to help them understand who God is and how we, as his children, relate to him. Arranged within a traditional systematic theological framework, each truth in The Ology is also connected to the larger redemptive story of Scripture. The doctrine of God, for example, is presented in the larger framework of creation, where the attributes of God are on display and easier to understand. Designed for six-year-olds through preteens, this flexible resource includes built-in adaptations for use with younger or older children, so that entire families can enjoy it together.

Read The Ology to preschoolers, read it with grade-school kids, and let older kids discover the hidden truths by reading the corresponding Scripture passages for each section. However you read it, The Ology will give your children a gift that will last a lifetime a solid foundation of life-changing biblical truth that will point them to the God who loves them and gave himself for them.

A beginner s book of systematic theology in the form of a beautifully illustrated storybook.

Clearly explains life-changing theological truths with everyday examples and simple language that kids can understand.

Uses illustrations, analogies, and word pictures to help kids understand God, the world, and themselves.

Designed for six-year-olds through preteens, with built-in adaptations for use with younger or older children, so that entire families can enjoy it together.

My Thoughts:

I've been using Leading Little Ones to God for our devotional the past few months, and it's changed the way I look at devotionals. It is awesome and has answered questions for my children, especially my Grasshopper, that I wasn't sure how to answer in an appropriate way for their mind to understand. I was dreading the end, because I didn't know what book I would go into next. After receiving The Ology, my problem was solved, and I think it will fill the devotional spot quite nicely for us.

The Ology starts out as a fictional story of two children finding an ancient book. We get to read that ancient book, which is many "meaty" devotionals. At the end, it shows that the children realize that this book should be read WITH the Bible, and so they go home to read it again alongside their Bibles. I think that's awesome! Each chapter has several Bible verses to go along with the lesson. I've tried really hard to make sure we read from our Bibles throughout our devotionals, just to stress the importance of it, so I like that several Bible verses are listed to help us out.

For each 2-page spread, one page is a full picture, with Bible verses placed within the picture. I love that the pictures are gentle, and somewhat vintage in style. Each lesson is short, so it works well for a variety of ages. While my Grasshopper can sit much longer and listen quietly, it's still a huge struggle with my little Bumblebee. Even if he sits through nothing else, I make him attempt to listen through our Bible times. (Any advice on becoming successful through this struggle would be welcomed! It seems the struggle has become greater with each child.) :) The short lessons make Bible time more successful with my littlest guy, though.

Just like with Leading Little Ones to God, there ARE spots that will be edited for us within The Ology. For the most part, I've loved what I've read of it, though. I haven't had this book very long, so I'm still reading through it, and making notes of edits and all. Overall, I'd say this is a great devotional for 6(ish) and older children(on average). I'm thrilled with it and grateful for the fact that it doesn't water things down, but makes Bible truths child friendly.


*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

**************************

Purchase Link:

The Ology: Ancient Truths, Ever New


**************************

1 comment:

  1. Huh! That sounds rather intriguing. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete