Monday, November 9, 2015

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was the October pick for the Reading to Know Classics Book Club, chosen by Sky. Obviously, I'm behind getting my post up.

A few years ago, I bought one of those complete collections books for Sir Conan Aurthur Doyle. I'm almost positive I read some within it, and greatly enjoyed it, but now I can't remember anything specific, so I'm not completely sure. For that reason, I think this was my first journey into one of the mysteries that Doyle imagined.

I really enjoyed it, and I left the book excited to read more. Just like most classic mysteries I read, though, I'm always hesitant to say very much. I don't want to ruin any surprises. I will say that I didn't figure out the main mystery, but I did figure out one of the side mysteries, which made me pretty proud of myself. ;) Eventually, I'm determined to figure out the main portion before it's revealed in one of the older mysteries, though. I'm not the best at putting clues together just yet.

I've watched and LOVED the two Sherlock Holmes movies(starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law). I'm pretty sure I was disappointed that Downey was picked as Sherlock, but just like with Ironman, he made it work, and I can't picture anyone else now. I couldn't help but picture Downey and Law in my mind as Sherlock and Watson while reading the story. That said, I'm not even sure how close the movies are to the stories.

I hate to admit that I had a hard time picturing the described moor. I was especially curious when a pony enters the story. I ended up doing a little picture search, so l could better visualize it all. Still, after finishing the book I was hoping to watch a movie based on this particular book. The only thing available to me at the moment was an episode of Sherlock. I wasn't fond, though I did watch it to the end. There was ONE brief part where I thought they might keep it remotely close to the book, but then I could hear the writers laughing, "Nah! Just kidding. We're going to keep it as far from the book as possible!" I left it wondering if that was purely coincidence, because I can't imagine that any of the writers actually read the book. I don't recommend that episode if you're looking for something remotely close to the plot that Doyle created. Even though I think I might have watched an episode when it first came out on TV, I wasn't overly familiar with the show. I don't plan on watching any more, because it got on my nerves.

I DO hope to locate a copy of one of the other movies based on the book, and hopefully it will be closer to the story. Any recommendations?


Have you read anything by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? I'd love to hear your thoughts! 


Reading to Know - Book Club

1 comment:

  1. Giggling about your behind-the-scenes writer's description. I'm SURE they DO that!!! Totally believable.

    And I'm glad you pointed this all out because I was think I've seen a tv show based on this story but as I was reading along I figured I was mistaken about that. Perhaps not!

    Anyway, glad you read along and glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete