Friday, October 23, 2015

Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook by Pearl Barrett and Serene Allison


Description:

In their debut cookbook, the Trim Healthy Mama’s share hundreds of delicious, healthy recipes to help readers successfully slim down while eating well. This companion cookbook to the bestselling Trim Healthy Mama Plan is just what readers have been waiting for. It features simple, mouthwatering, recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner—including slow cooker and one-pot meals, hearty soups and salads, omelets and waffles, pizzas, breads and more. No Trim Healthy Mama should be deprived, so there are also favorite snacks, delectable desserts, and the smoothies, sippers and teas fans love. With pantry-stocking advice, time-saving tips, and information on how to cook for the entire family, the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook offers a delicious and nutritious way to make trim and healthy meals with less stress—so you have more time with your loved ones.

My Thoughts:

I've been hearing about the Trim Healthy Mama Plan for awhile now, and I have to admit I've been curious. I knew the book associated with the plan was self-published, but it was so popular even a used book was out of my price range(at the time). I'd also read that the book didn't have any pictures and was a bit hectic to find things within it. It seemed to be such a great plan, though, that ladies were willing to overlook the negatives.


Still, when I saw that the Trim Healthy Mama Plan had been republished, and the cookbook had color pictures, I kind of looked the other way. I was thinking that I know what to do to lose weight. Eat less sugar, more fruits and veggies, and exercise more. Putting it into practice is always the hard part! I was swayed, though, by the following these ladies have. In *this* particular case, the more people going by the plan and having success, the more encouragement. We could all use encouragement! Plus, the "Breads and Pizza Crusts" section has this. "Why would we be so cruel as to take bread and pizza from your life? Enjoy!" ;D


When I first flipped through the cookbook, I thought I'd made a mistake getting it. There were ingredients that aren't really realistic for me right now, and things that I had no clue what they were. Super Sweet Blend? Gentle Sweet? Baking Blend? A "doonk" on Pure Stevia Extract? It looked overwhelming. Thankfully, I turned to the front of the cookbook, and read what Pearl and Serene had to say. First of all, they recommend reading the "plan" book first, titled Trim Healthy Mama Plan: The Easy-Does-It Approach to Vibrant Health and a Slim Waistline. It has all the details of the plan and what it's all about. I haven't read that book yet, though I plan to, Lord willing. They are also very forgiving. They don't recommend going and buying all new ingredients at once. They actually list which new products they recommend starting with, and which ones to add when the budget allows. They also recommend forgiving yourself when you "cheat". One of them follows the plan closely, and one isn't as strict.

The cookbook itself is chunky. (512 pages, y'all!) A great deal of recipes have been packed into it, which I appreciate in this instance. There are color pictures throughout, both of recipes and Pearl and Serene with their families. (Not every recipe has a picture with it, though.) Though some of the recipes looked complicated at first, after reading the beginning, they don't look so overwhelming. They look much more simple and doable for me the more I read. Also, I've already heard great things about the newly republished books from long time fans of the plan.

Pearl and Serene have already won me over, and I have to admit that I'm looking forward to reading the other book, not only for the plan, but to get to know these ladies better!

Do any of you follow the Trim Healthy Mama Plan? Do you have any tips/suggestions for this mama starting out?

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.


**************************************

Purchase Links:

Trim Healthy Mama Plan: The Easy-Does-It Approach to Vibrant Health and a Slim Waistline


Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook: Eat Up and Slim Down with More Than 350 Healthy Recipes


*************************************


3 comments:

  1. Ha! I think the same way about the idea of losing weight. I need to get out of the baking and just cook...and exercise again.

    It's been so long since we've chatted. :) Will need to catch up soon!

    PS I saw your comment on Reading to Know about only reading a couple of CF authors. Have you read Cathy Gohlke? She's one that pens a great story...and it's clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking is my comfort zone, but it IS more unhealthy. It usually involves cheese. :/

      We DO need to catch up! :)

      (I still haven't read Cathy Gohlke, but I plan to. I remember you really liking her, so I have my hopes up that I will, too!) :D

      Delete
  2. A friend of mine really got into this and so I explored a LITTLE bit of it. Like you, I felt the price of the book was outside my comfort range for buying a book (I wasn't sure I would totally use) and which I couldn't preview very well online.

    Would you mind following up with me in an e-mail and tell me if you're trying it (and if it's working)? Because I'm still rather curious about it but am still not sure if I want to invest.

    ReplyDelete