Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The Nest by Kenneth Oppel



Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (October 6, 2015) 256 pages

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

This might be the oddest book I've ever read. I highly recommend reading it just to experience the tremendous amount of odd that it possesses! Don't read descriptions of the story! Just go into it blindly, and experience the weirdness with a fresh mind.

That could probably be enough of a review, but if you want more......

I knew going into The Nest that it was supposed to be a creepy book. I don't read creepy books, unless it's children's, and then I'm too curious to stay away. As I read along through this book, I kept thinking it wasn't near as creepy as I thought it would be(though creepy, for sure). It was after closing the last page that the story kept running through my mind, and little bits and pieces of creepiness spooked me a bit. And, I'm an adult! For that reason, I wouldn't recommend this book to sensitive children or those prone to nightmares(like me)!

Within this book, I learned more about wasps than I ever really cared to know. Still, it was interesting. One of my children and my mother-in-law is allergic to wasps. I don't like the creatures! I believe the feeling is probably mutual with most people, making wasps the perfect creepy focus of this story. I left this book disliking them more than ever!

Wrapped up in all the oddness and all the creepiness, there are hug worthy moments as the author touches on issues, such as perfection and disabilities within the world. I won't elaborate on that too much, but it was this that made the book "hug worthy" to me. The main character, Steve , has OCD issues and suffers from nightmares. He has his struggles. I was the weirdest child you could ever dream of meeting back in my childhood days, so children that are labeled "not normal" by the world always pull on my heartstrings. Steve was no exception.

I highly recommend this book! I thought it was amazing and creative and beautiful, and don't forget, creepy and odd. ;)

*I was provided an ARC, in exchange for my honest opinion.

***********************************************************

Purchase Link:

The Nest

**********************************************************

1 comment:

  1. I haven't even heard of this book...your review sounds interesting. ;)

    ReplyDelete