Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Thankful by Eileen Spinelli


Description:

Bestselling and award-winning children’s author Eileen Spinelli combines charming rhymes and whimsical illustrations to convey the importance of being thankful for everyday blessings. Thankful, by bestselling and award-winning children’s author Eileen Spinelli, combines charming rhymes and whimsical illustrations to convey the importance of being thankful for everyday blessings. Like the gardener thankful for every green sprout, and the fireman for putting the fire out, readers are encouraged to be thankful for the many blessings they find in their lives.

Spinelli exhibits her endearing storytelling with this engaging poem, reminding children how blessed and special they are. Meant to be read aloud, this heartwarming picture book will be a treasured keepsake for parents and children alike.

My Thoughts:

I hate to admit how disappointed I was with this book. It IS cute, but it was so different than what I was expecting with the great reviews it had when I grabbed it. I guess I was expecting much more from it.

During our morning "table time", I've been trying to add in a picture book of some sort after our devotional. Character building books are my preference. I thought this would be a good book to teach thankfulness. And, it is, in its own way. It just wasn't what I was expecting.

The book goes through various professions that people have, and tell what that particular group is thankful for. For example, a poet is thankful for words that rhyme, a waitress for comfortable shoes, etc. I guess I was bugged more than I should be that the book said a "pastor"(we call him minister, or more often preacher, around here)is thankful for "God's loving word". I had to stop reading and add that ALL Christians should be just as grateful for the Bible as the minister is. Again, I'm probably being too hard on the book for that, but it really did bug me.

If you're looking to talk about some of the professions out there, and a bit about thankfulness, this is a cute book. We enjoyed the illustrations. It just wasn't our favorite book.

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

***************************************

Purchase Link:

Thankful

***************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment