Thursday, October 8, 2015

Owls: Our Most Charming Bird by Matt Sewell



Ten Speed Press (September 22, 2015) 128 pages

Description:

An enchanting illustrated guide to owl species of the world.

The owl is one of nature’s most captivating creatures. In this enchanting guide, artist Matt Sewell brings to life fifty species from around the world. From the adorable Eurasian Pygmy Owl, small enough to fit in your pocket, to the Great Gray Owl, celebrated for its size and elegance—these charming illustrations are sure to delight anyone intrigued by these wise and wonderful animals.

My Thoughts:

The word "charming" is used different times in connection with this book, and really, it's impossible for me to look at it and not do the same. It truly is a charming little book! I love birds, period, but owls are one of the most interesting birds out there(to me, anyway). I never knew there were so many different kinds of owls! The fact that this little book opened my mind to more owls, combined with the lovely illustrations, make this a book worthy of the keeper shelf.

The owls are divided into 4 sections. (Woodland, Tropical, Wilderness, and Desert) Each owl gets a 2 page spread, with its name, and a short amount of information about it on one page. It doesn't go into great detail, but gives you just enough to separate it from other owls. It's done so with sweet humor. The other page gets a precious illustration of that owl.

It's a super cute book, and very helpful for those studying owls. I plan on using this with my boys as part of an owl study soon, and hope that we can see a real owl, in its natural world, as opposed to zoo owls. I've only got to see 1 live owl in the wild in my whole life, and it's a pretty memorable thing! I also just discovered that Sewell has several other bird books, and they are on my "top" wishlist now! I love this book so much, I can't wait to see more from him!


"I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

********************

Purchase Link:

Owls: Our Most Charming Bird


********************

2 comments:

  1. My oldest would absolutely LOVE this title. Marking it down for Christmas....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this would be such a fun read!

    ReplyDelete