Friday, September 25, 2015

The Time Garden: A Magical Journey and Coloring Book by Daria Song




Description:

A dazzlingly beautiful coloring book for all ages, The Time Garden will sweep you away into a whimsical cuckoo clock–inspired world, created in intricate pen and ink by the internationally best-selling Korean artist Daria Song.

Journey through the doors of a mysterious cuckoo clock into its inky inner workings to discover a magical land of clock gears, rooftops, starry skies, and giant flying owls—all ready for you to customize with whatever colors you can dream up.

Cuckoo . . . cuckoo . . . cuckoo . . . When the clock strikes midnight, you’ll wonder, was it all a dream?

The Time Garden features extra-thick craft paper, ideal for non bleed-through coloring, and the jacketed cover with flaps is removable and color-able. Special gold-foil stamping on the cover and spine and a To/From page make it perfect for gifting to adults and kids alike.

Then, explore the magical world outside the clock through the eyes of a fairy in the sequel, The Time Chamber: A Magical Story and Coloring Book!

My Thoughts:

I enjoy coloring! I've saw many posts recently where people seemed ashamed of the fact that they were coloring, and I want to tell them there's no need. Coloring is relaxing. When my Grasshopper went into the NICU, I bought myself a coloring book to help pass the time in a calming kind of way. Coloring books are also excellent gifts for cancer patients, both children and adults, and their families, as they wait through their many tests and treatments. They're excellent gifts, period, in my opinion. Really and truly, there's no need for shame when it comes to adults coloring. ;)


This coloring book, The Time Garden, is set up like a book. There's not a ton of words, but there are some used to tell a quick story. The story is mostly told through the coloring pages, though, with each scene taking up a 2 page spread. I find this both exciting and intimidating. Exciting, because it will give me a lesson in patience. Instead of coloring one page, and being done, I'm working on a whole book. Also, it will be a wonderful treasure when I'm done, and something I wouldn't mind keeping on the shelf. Most coloring pages I color are torn out and thrown away. You won't want to tear out pages from this book, though! If you think there's even the smallest chance that someone will want to "borrow" a page, keep something else to give them with you.


On the other hand, having a whole book to color that tells a story is a bit intimidating, because I feel like if I mess up one page, I've ruined the whole book. To tear out "bad" coloring, I'd ruin the story. Of course, maybe that's a good lesson in letting go of what doesn't matter, as long as I've tried my best. I also feel the need to make sure all the colors line up. For example, it's more realistic that her dress stays the same color throughout. I started out using a fine tip marker to color with, and started with the girl's dress. I quickly discovered marker isn't the best option for this book, since it bleeds a tiny bit and shows through the other page just the slightest bit. The pages ARE thick, though. Now the colors will be off a bit. (The lines are much too detailed for crayons, so I prefer using colored pencils in this book to color with.)


This is truly a gorgeous book, and one I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. I recently tried out another coloring book that was so far past my love of oddness that I just feel uncomfortable having it in my house. I wouldn't dare give it to anyone. The Time Garden is sweet and elegant and relaxing, though, and I love it.

*I was provided a review copy through Blogging for Books, in exchange for my honest opinion.

***********************************

Purchase Link:

The Time Garden: A Magical Journey and Coloring Book


***********************************

3 comments:

  1. I have been coloring as well. I have been using the Secret Garden Coloring Book, but now I've gotten a Mandela Coloring Book. Coloring Books are very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coloring IS relaxing. It truly is! I'm looking forward to the new Harry Potter coloring book which is coming out at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coloring IS relaxing. It truly is! I'm looking forward to the new Harry Potter coloring book which is coming out at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete