Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Ark by Laura Liddell Nolen




About the Book:

There’s a meteor headed for Earth, and there is only one way to survive.It’s the final days of earth, and sixteen-year-old Char is right where she belongs: in prison. With her criminal record, she doesn’t qualify for a place on an Ark, one of the five massive bioships designed to protect earth’s survivors during the meteor strike that looks set to destroy the planet. Only a select few will be saved – like her mom, dad, and brother– all of whom have long since turned their backs on Char.

If she ever wants to redeem herself, Char must use all the tricks of the trade to swindle her way into outer space, where she hopes to reunite with her family, regardless of whether they actually ever want to see her again, or not . . .

****************************

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

The cover of this book made me think of a slightly creepy sci-fi movie from the 1980s. Based on that and the fact that I actually somewhat read the description of the story(shocking for me), I couldn't help but be curious.

I LOVED this book, y'all! While I was curious, I don't think my expectations were overly high. It was such a pleasant surprise that I loved it so very much, though. It turns out that my impression of the cover was pretty accurate(for me, anyway), except that this story takes place in 2065(if I understood correctly). It's a bit on the dark side. If the world was ending, and only 500,000 people would be given an escape with a starpass(ticket), you can imagine the violence that would happen in order to be part of that escape.

There's action and suspense throughout the whole book. When I first started it, I was pulled away for several weeks due to more pressing deadlines, but once I picked it back up, I devoured it. It kept me rapidly turning the pages, with unexpected twists and turns coming regularly. My only disappointment is that I don't have the next book in front of me. It does end with a cliffhanger.

I can easily recommend this book to anyone, from mature younger readers to adults. If you're looking for a quick and light read this summer, yet one that has plenty of action, give this one a try! It's officially on my "favorites" list, and I can't wait to get my hands on the next book.

Content:

Clean! There's no profanity at all and only a bit of kissing. (The romance is very mild within the story, too.) There is a good bit of violence, but it's not overly graphic.

*I was provided an e-copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

***************************

Purchase Link:

The Ark


***************************



About the Author:

Laura Liddell Nolen grew up in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, where she spent lots of time playing make-believe with her two younger brothers. They supplemented their own stories with a steady diet of space- and superhero-themed movies, books, and television. The daughter of a comic book collector, she learned how to handle old comics at an early age, a skill she’s inordinately proud of to this day.Laura began work on her first novel, The Ark, in 2012, following the birth of her daughterAva, a tiny rebel and a sweetheart on whom the novel’s main character is loosely based. Completion of The Ark was made possible in part due to an SCBWI Work-in-Progress Award. Laura loves coffee, dogs, and making lists. She has a degree in French and a license to practice law, but both are frozen in carbonite at present. She lives in Houston, Texas, withher husband and two young children, and their dog Miley, who is a very good girl.

****************************


****************************

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of this book. But from your review, it sounds like it'd be a great read. Thanks for the newbie introduction, Tammy. :)

    ReplyDelete