Tuesday, June 30, 2015

NIrV Study Bible for Kids


Description:

An updated study Bible with an all-new design for kids ages 6-10 using the NIrV written at a third-grade reading level.

The bestselling NIrV Study Bible for Kids starts early readers ages 6-10 on the rewarding path of reading and studying God's Word. This Bible uses the complete text of the New International Reader's Version® (NIrV) which is written at a third-grade reading level and is perfect for those learning to read. With colorful artwork, easy-to-read Bible text, and fun features, kids will engage with the Bible in a way that makes it stick.

Features include:

*Presentation page for personalization and gift giving
*32 full-color pages include illustrations to bring Bible characters and events to life plus helpful study information about the Ten Commandments, how to become a Christian, prayer, and more
*Check It Out: sketches and descriptions of what life was like in Bible times
*Brain Game: questions to help kids remember important Bible themes
*Soak It Up: great verses for kids to memorize
*Book Introductions: brief overviews of each book with an outline of key events
*Dictionary: Bible words for quick reference
*Map section

My Thoughts:

As my Grasshopper is getting older and getting closer to reading on his own, I've started debating on what Bible for him to use as a personal study Bible, as opposed to one with us. I love my NKJV Study Bible, and greatly appreciate the extra study features. I want a Bible that he can understand and that is targeted more for younger people. I also would love one that will give him those extra little study features. Most of the children's Bible that we've reviewed through the years have been passed on, since Grasshopper wasn't reading yet, and so I don't have them to look over for our current season of life anymore. (It wasn't until a friend asked for recommendations on children's Bibles that the light bulb fully clicked on wanting the study feature for my children, by the way. As of right now, for Bible class and Worship Services, they have simple NKJV Bibles, though Grasshopper has been using my ESV Slimline Bible. At home, we're more varied.)

As far as the NIrV goes, please don't take my post as a recommendation for it. I'm pretty new to it, and while I don't love the NIV, I don't avoid. I imagine I can say the same for the NIrV. I'm just a momma winging it! I want my children to understand and love God's Word, but they'll always need to be on the lookout for false teaching and false translations. I hope we can always discuss what they're reading and answer questions. Never rely on only one traslation! (From what I've understood, the ASV is the closest word for word translation from the original.)

As far as the extra features, I really like them. The pictures are the same as in 101 Bible Stories from Creation to Revelation, done by Dan Andreasen. Actually, as I was debating hard whether to even try this particular Bible out, it was the pictures that swayed me to give it a try. I DO very much love Andreasen's illustrations! As far as I could tell, there aren't any new ones, though, if you have the other book. Actually, I think there are more pictures within the book than in this Bible.

There's lots of different study helps. There are full color/page illustrations, along with some smaller illustrations throughout. There also full color charts of various kinds and reading plans. ((Beware that there are plenty of "faith only" references in these charts, so if you believe as I do...that baptism washes away our sins(Acts 2:38)....then you'll have to do as we will, and edit a bit.))

As far as the full color, thick, glossy pages, here's what you'll get:

There's 4 pages that have 3 different reading plans to read the whole Bible. These pages also have several illustrations, along with Bible references to place them. There's a two page spread teaching about worship, and page with a few definitions. There's a page dedicated to The Bible, Books of the Bible, The Ten Commandments, God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, Love, Prayer, The Lord's Prayer, Miracles, The Parables of Jesus, the ABCs of Becoming a Christian(editing for us)and 8 maps. There's also full page color illustrations within these color pages.

There's more color charts throughout, but on the same thin pages as the rest of the Bible. Each chapter will give you "good verses to read". There's little bits and pieces put into the text, too, like "Brain Games", with questions, "Soak it Up", which is Bible verses, and "Check it Out", which is like a super mini devotional.

Overall, it's a nice Bible, as far as extra features go.

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

******************************************

Purchase Link:

NIrV Study Bible for Kids

******************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment