Saturday, June 27, 2015

Laugh Out Loud Pocket Doodles for Boys/Laugh Out Loud Pocket Doodles for Girls by Rob Eliiot, and Illustrated by Jonny Hawkins


Description:

Rob Elliott's Laugh-Out-Loud joke books have brought laughter to more than half a million households. His last book invited kids into the action as he teamed up with cartoonist Jonny Hawkins to create Laugh-Out-Loud Doodles for Kids. Now the dynamic duo is back with two brand-new books for boys and girls who love to draw and love to laugh! Packed with jokes that will keep boys and girls giggling for hours, and unfinished doodles for them to complete any way they want, these books keep little hands and minds busy. Perfect for road trips, lazy summer days, or anytime the kids say, "I'm bored!"


My Thoughts:

These books are small. If I lay my hand flat on the top of each one, my hand is bigger, just to give you an idea. There's a book for both boys and girls. Flipping through, they're mostly the same style, though with different pictures and jokes. You might expect the girls' book to have rainbows and butterflies throughout, but it's not like that. The only differences I saw in the two books are the covers, the characters inside the girls' book are female and the names are for girls. The boys' book has male characters and male names. Otherwise, you can't really tell one is for girls vs. boys.

Each page has a joke, the beginning of a picture, and a drawing prompt.


Other than reading books, my next in line wishful hobby is learning to draw/paint. I haven't dedicated the time to it like I would like so far. I recently added a couple of drawing classes/lessons to our "curriculum" line-up for this coming school year. I figure if I want to learn to do something, I better involve my kids! ;) I've tried to encourage drawing here and there for them, but I hope there will be more confidence, particularly with my Grasshopper in the coming months/years with his creations. He has an imagination that regularly amazes me, but he is always more hesitant to draw, at least lately, claiming he can't do it. It seems more of a confidence issue vs. lack of interest.

For that reason, I love that these books give one's imagination a little head start, but ultimately the drawer is free to come up with what he/she wants. It gives me a chance to sit down with my little ones and tell them a joke or two, and encourage them to practice drawing and stretching their imagination. Not only will it ultimately build more confidence over time, but it's also a neat little keepsake for me. I've tried to write little notes on each page about conversations that were happening while drawing and what was being drawn.


They've been a fun way to spend some special time together and laugh together, even if my little ones didn't really get most of the jokes. One of the great things about my children is that they don't need a reason to laugh other than someone else is doing it,though my goal is always to teach "with", not "at". (Recently, one of my children pointed and laughed at a woman, proclaiming she had "clown" hair. I was horrified to say the least.) Many of the jokes went right over their heads, but if I laughed, they laughed along with me.


For older children that can read the jokes themselves, these would also be great drawing/imagination practice, but could be great for car rides or doctor waits. Even though my little ones are below the target age, we've still enjoyed them. The best thing of all is that one does NOT have to be a great artist to enjoy themselves with them, as we are proof! :D

*We were provided review copies of both books, in exchange for our honest opinions.

*********************************

Purchase Links:

Laugh-Out-Loud Pocket Doodles for Girls


Laugh-Out-Loud Pocket Doodles for Boys


*********************************

1 comment:

  1. Sounds cute! Love the notes about laughing with your children. :) That would make these books worth it.

    ReplyDelete