Friday, May 1, 2015

To Win Her Favor by Tamera Alexander

(Book cover to come....I've tried over and over, with no luck, so I'm not sure what the problem is.)

About the Book:

A gifted rider in a world where ladies never race, Maggie Linden is determined that her horse will become a champion. But the one man who can help her has vowed to stay away from thoroughbred racing for good.

An Irish-born son far from home, Cullen McGrath left a once prosperous life in England because of a horse racing scandal that nearly ruined him. He's come to Nashville for a fresh start, hoping to buy land and start a farm, all while determined to stay as far away from thoroughbred racing as possible. But starting over proves harder than he'd wagered, especially when Maggie Linden's father makes him an offer he shouldn't accept yet cannot possibly refuse.

Maggie is certain that her mare, Bourbon Belle, can take the top purse in the annual Drayton Stakes at Nashville's racetrack--the richest race run in America. Maggie only needs the chance to prove it. To give her that chance, and to save Linden Downs from being sold to the highest bidder, Maggie's father--aging, yet wily as ever--makes a barter. His agreement includes one tiny, troublesome detail--Maggie must marry a man she's never met. A man she never would have chosen for herself.

Cullen and Maggie need each other in order to achieve their dreams. But their stubborn, wounded hearts--and the escalating violence from a "secret society" responsible for lynchings and midnight raids--may prove too much for even two determined souls.
**********************************************

My Rating: 3/5 stars(I've been back and forth on this rating!)

My Thoughts:

The Belle Meade series and Belmont Mansion series somewhat intertwine with each other. There's always characters making little appearances here and there. I find this especially fun, because they're published by different publishers. While I have read both books in the Belmont Mansion series, and the other book in this series, I haven't read any of Tamera's other books yet. The 3 I have read, especially in the Belmont series remain high favorites of mine. That's why I hate to admit this one wasn't my favorite. It was enjoyable! Don't get me wrong. I found the writing to be beautiful as always. As usual, there was plenty of grief felt for the characters and that pulled on my heartstrings. I actually liked Maggie and Cullen, and plenty of the other characters.

The thing about this book is that I can't overly recommend it, mainly in reference to unmarried ladies, no matter what age, due the content. I don't know if Christian books are just getting more and more edgy as the days pass by, or if I'm just getting more prudish, but I don't care for the physical content within this book. After reading a bit, I looked around to see if anyone else out there had concerns, and I saw someone mention they don't like reading "marriage" fictional stories, because the sexual content is always higher. A light bulb went off in my head that maybe I should stay away from those kinds of books these days. The two main characters, Maggie and Cullen, marry early on in the book. A huge part of the book deals with their physical relationship. From before being intimate, with thigh touches and grazes, and looking up and down bodies, to during and after being more intimate, and undressing and kissing and all. Of course, there's much worse out there. I don't have to read it to know it could get much worse, but I feel like young girls and are thinking since books like these are labeled "Christian" that it's okay to read it. I simply can't imagine that an unmarried girl/woman could keep a pure mind while reading these scenes(and there are several of them). For the married ladies, of course, you can use your own judgment whether that kind of thing bothers you. It's not for me, though. This is something I've just learned through the years, and I've learned which authors/books to stay away from. I wouldn't watch it on TV, so I don't want to "watch" it through my reading mind. (And, I know that this isn't a YA book, but with the Christian label, ladies of all ages typically pick up more mature books. This is just my little warning, along with a little step up on my soapbox.):S

(And, I do understand that authors/publishers are just giving the majority what they want, which is a shame, because there's still conservative readers, like myself, out there.)

Also, I'll note that the "n" word is used throughout, and y'all know how much I HATE that word, no matter how it's used within a story.

So, I didn't hate this story. It's sweet and beautiful, but I won't reread it due to the content. At this point, though, I DO plan on reading any other books within this series that come about.

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

*******************************************

Purchase Link:

To Win Her Favor (A Belle Meade Plantation Novel Book 2)

Note: There's a special preorder price of $4.99 for the kindle version right now. It releases on May 12th.

*******************************************

Tamera Alexander’s To Win Her Favor Blog Tour and Kindle Giveaway

Can Maggie prove that her mare, Bourbon Belle, can take the top purse in the inaugural Peyton Stakes, the richest race ever run in America? Find out in Tamera Alexander's To Win Her Favor. To give her that chance—and to save Linden Downs from being sold to the highest bidder—Maggie must marry a man she's never met. A man she never would have chosen for herself.




Celebrate the release of To Win Her Favor with a Kindle Fire and book giveaway!




to win her favor - 400


One grand prize winner will receive:


  • A Kindle Fire HD 6
  • A copy of To Win Her Favor
Enter today by clicking the icon below. But hurry, the giveaway ends on May 10th. Winner will be announced May 11th on Tamera's blog. Plus stay tuned for more opportunities to win after May 11 with a special Pinterest contest—more details coming soon!




to win her favor - enterbanner
{NOT ON FACEBOOK? ENTER HERE.}

******************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment