Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh



G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (May 12, 2015) 416 pages

Description:

Every dawn brings horror to a different family in a land ruled by a killer. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, takes a new bride each night only to have her executed at sunrise. So it is a suspicious surprise when sixteen-year-old Shahrzad volunteers to marry Khalid. But she does so with a clever plan to stay alive and exact revenge on the Caliph for the murder of her best friend and countless other girls. Shazi’s wit and will, indeed, get her through to the dawn that no others have seen, but with a catch . . . she’s falling in love with the very boy who killed her dearest friend.

She discovers that the murderous boy-king is not all that he seems and neither are the deaths of so many girls. Shazi is determined to uncover the reason for the murders and to break the cycle once and for all.
My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Warning: This book ends with a cliffhanger, so it's apparently to be a series.

The Wrath and the Dawn is a re-telling of Arabian Nights. I've only read bits and pieces of that book, but I was still able to appreciate both the familiar parts and the creative twists the author took with this book.

It took me to the halfway point to really get into it. I didn't hate it by any means, but it just moves somewhat slow for what I was expecting. There are hints that a great deal of fantasy elements might be in the next book(s), but the fantasy part was really very mild within this one. I have to admit, I was disappointed in that. There were little hints along that something big was about to happen, but it seems most of the action/fantasy will happen in the next book(s).

I also had a hard time liking the characters at first. The halfway point is about when I started to like them, and when I started to feel and understand the love/fondness between two of the characters. Before that, Shahrzad(Shazi) is just angry and wasn't all that likeable. Khalid was more behind the scenes than anything. The story mainly focuses on Shazi's point of view, but it changes occasionally to show a different person's point of view. It just took some time for them to grow on me, and understand why there was any fondness at all. It also took time for me to keep the characters straight in my mind. I typically do fine with keeping up with lots of characters within a story, and there are a good bit in this story. When their names aren't all that common in my part of the world, it's always a little harder to familiarize in my mind. Also, the fact that each of the characters were called by multiple names, based on cultural traditions and just nicknames, etc., things get more difficult for my brain. I had to flip back and forth a few times to figure out exactly which character I was reading about. That said, I did greatly enjoy the change of scenery and the chance to see a different culture than the average old YA fiction.

Once I settled into the story, I couldn't wait to read to the end. I enjoyed it, and just wish there was actually an ending, instead of the cliffhanger I got. I AM looking forward to reading more, and I definitely plan on reading the next book(s). It ended up being a dark, yet lovely and romantic story!

Content:
Pretty clean. B++t++d is used several times, and a++ a couple of times, but that's it as far as profanity goes. There are a few sex scenes(within marriage). 2 are completely off screen, and one is mostly off screen. (A little passionate kissing before fading to black) There's a bit of dark magic, but it seems more of a setup for the rest of the series. There's also some violence, but nothing over the top.

*I was provided an ARC, in exchange for my honest opinion.

*********************************************

Purchase Link:

The Wrath and the Dawn

*********************************************

1 comment:

  1. This sounds intriguing. I've seem it around the blogosphere and such, but hadn't really paid it much heed. Now I just may have to look into it. :)

    ReplyDelete