Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest by Melanie Dickerson



Thomas Nelson (May 12, 2015) 312 pages

Description:

A beautiful maiden who poaches to feed the poor.

A handsome forester on a mission to catch her.

Danger and love are about to unite in Thornbeck Forest.

The margrave owns the finest hunting grounds for miles around—and who teaches children to read, but by night this young beauty has become the secret lifeline to the poorest of the poor.

For Jorgen Hartman, the margrave’s forester, tracking down a poacher is a duty he is all too willing to perform. Jorgen inherited his post from the man who raised him . . . a man who was murdered at the hands of a poacher.

When Jorgen and Odette meet at the Midsummer festival and share a connection during a dance, neither has any idea that they are already adversaries.

The one man she wants is bound by duty to capture her; the one woman he loves is his cunning target . . . What becomes of a forester who protects a notorious poacher? What becomes of a poacher when she is finally discovered?

My Rating: 3/5 stars


My Thoughts:

The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest is somewhat of a Robin Hood retelling. Odette steals from the rich by shooting deer, and gives the meat to the poor. Despite not being interested in hunting, I couldn't help but give the book my interest. The other books by the same author are fairy tale(ish), and since I love fairy tales, I thought this one might still have that quality about it. Also, the cover is quite lovely!

This is one of those reviews I really don't want to write. It wasn't a bad book! I'm not giving it a negative review exactly, and I'm not saying others shouldn't read it. I'm just saying I didn't connect with it at all. A few years ago, I read The Healer's Apprentice, and loved it. The writing in this one felt different and maybe more simplified, possibly with intentions for a younger audience. I'm not sure. I wasn't overly fond of it, though.

I don't know if my reading tastes have changed or if this one just had a different vibe, but I felt so old reading it, y'all! I enjoy YA occasionally, though admittedly less and less. Middle grade is typically my happy medium these days. The YA ones that reach out to readers of all ages are gems, and I love finding those. Reading this one sent me back to my tween years, as I sat pulling petals off of a flower. "He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me....." I felt like I was peeking into a slumber party full of tweens giggling about crushes. If I was "supervising" at a slumber party full of tweens, I would be much more supportive, but during my personal reading time, I have to admit, I was a little embarrassed to be reading it. I don't like the books that make me feel OLD! :P (Odette, the leading lady, is actually a bit older, which would typically make this more of a "new adult" book, I think, but I'd recommend it for younger teens.)

This one does have side stories happening, but it's mostly about the romance. I struggled so hard through the first fourth of the book. The characters fall instantly in love(sort of), and there's lots of googly eyes. I rolled my eyes so very much through the story, but especially through the first fourth. After that, enough other things start happening that I was able to keep going. Honestly, if it wasn't for review, I wouldn't have finished it.

So, I probably wouldn't overly recommend this for adult readers, but for the younger crowd(the INTENDED target audience, by the way) that enjoy sugar sweet romances, give this one a try. It's clean and sweet(if you're not in a sarcastic mood like I've been in). There's even a little mystery(though I mostly figured it out pretty quickly) and action. (Note: I have a very sweet husband that I love dearly, so don't go thinking my sarcastic mood is his fault!) ;)

((I have the Fairy Tale Collection by the same author next in line, and from what I've read of The Merchant's Daughter, I'm actually liking it so far. ))

*I was provided an e-copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

*****************************************************************

Purchase Link:

The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest (A Medieval Fairy Tale Book 1)

*****************************************************************

4 comments:

  1. Funny thing is, I thought this was Melanie's first "adult" series. It's good to read your thoughts on the book and realize that perhaps it's more in line with the same sweetness as her earlier fairytales. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's definitely in the "sweet" category! ;)

      Delete
  2. Would you say you like this book more than the other Dickerson books? I've read a few of her other fairytale retellings but I found the plots to be very predictable and most of the side characters were very cookie cutter/paper doll personality. :( But your review makes me hopeful this one is better!
    BTW you should check out KM Shea if you don't mind indie authors. She has a Robin Hood retelling (middle grade level reading) and several fairy tale retellings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you didn't like the other ones, I wouldn't bother with this one! It's been a few years, but I loved The Healer's Apprentice. So far, I'm really liking The Merchant's Daughter, but I haven't read the other 3 yet. I didn't really care for this one.

      I hadn't heard of KM Shea before, but her books do look interesting. I'll definitely give those a chance. :)

      Delete