Friday, May 15, 2015

Heart Sisters: Be the Friend You Want to Have by Natalie Chambers Snapp


About the Book:

Heart Sisters is for women who want to both be and have better friends and want a helpful guide to take them through the process.

Author Natalie Chambers Snapp uses her own and others' stories of successes and failures to illustrate what she has learned about girlfriend relationships. Healthy boundaries, honesty, tact, sharing, and agape love all play a part in being and maintaining a circle of close confidants. She also deals with the inevitable challenges that face many relationships including how to handle conflict; life changes like a new baby, move or divorce; and when it is right to "break-up" with your friend.

Discussion questions, space to journal, photos, and quick interviews of healthy female friendships are included within each chapter.

****************************************************

My Thoughts:

I recently read a review where someone had reviewed a book that I loved, yet for some reason I had focused more on the negative, most likely in an attempt to make sure no one believed I agreed with certain things. This reviewer focused on the positive things, and simply said, "Take the meat, and leave the bones." I like that, and I'll say the same for this book. I'm not picking on publishers, but Abingdon Press IS one of the least conservative Christian publishers there are. No. I didn't agree with everything in here, but there's some awesome advice, so I'm still going to recommend it.

My "word" for this year is "socialize". My idea of socializing probably isn't the same as yours, but even so I haven't done as well with this challenge as I would have liked so far. I have severe social anxiety, plus I'm shy AND introverted. That's a pretty painful mix to deal with. I'm not going to be running up to anyone with a hug and shouts of joy anytime soon(a wave and a smile is much more realistic), but I'd like to get myself "out there" a bit more often. From that word, though, I've added several "relationship" books to my reading list, and this was one of them. I'm not so great at the friendship thing, but it seems like a given that learning how to a better friend and learning what to do in situations will help with the socializing thing. ;)

Snapp covers friendship from many different angles. What we should do and what we shouldn't each get their own chapters. She covers friendship within the digital world, in the office world, and even briefly touches on friendships with men. Before Jonathan and I started dating, I just felt more comfortable with male friendships, and had several of them. After we dated, and especially married, I started being super careful with the male world(which was my choice, not something I was forced or even asked to do). I no longer have male friends, and even in the cyber world, I try to keep high guards in place. It's too easy for things to happen, and I believe putting up those guards are important. I appreciated her including men in the book! She also talks about teaching daughters to be good friends, forgiveness, comparison, pride, and much more. She tackles a great deal in here, and again, there's some awesome advice. I can easily recommend it to Christian ladies, no matter where you are in the friendship journey!

Just to leave you with a quote, I liked this section. I let Satan into my mind too often!

On Satan's tactic of meddling in our thoughts:

"Yet when I say good night to my family and lie down in my bed, I can pass the point of no return if I allow Satan entry into my thoughts as I'm reviewing the day. Suddenly my family's tough day becomes about me failing as a mother. I'm not doing the best job with raising them, so they're arguing, telling lies, and misbehaving. I beat myself up over imperfect parenting moments and soon become convinced they might be better off being raised by a pack of wolves than a poor excuse of a mother like me.

Do you see how he operates? He doesn't even have to work very hard at this either. He gets the ball rolling then sits back and grins as we disappear into a downward spiral of lies. We make it so easy for Satan to convince us of the truth in the lies, but we make it hard to identify when he's at work. Since he is the great deceiver, it's often much later in the game when we recognize what's going on. " (page 78)

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.


****************************************************

Purchase Link:

Heart Sisters: Be the Friend You Want to Have

****************************************************



About the Author:

Natalie Chambers Snapp is first and foremost a follower of Jesus, then wife to Jason, and mom to one spunky daughter and two spirited sons with a crazy amount of energy. Choosing to follow Jesus at 27, Natalie is passionate about sharing the grace, mercy, and truth of God's love. She lives in the Midwest with her crew and tries to keep it simple by writing about the faith found in the everyday mundane. The outpourings of her heart can be found at www.nataliesnapp.com in the fleeting moments between being a wife and mother.


*****************************************************

Become a Better Friend | Natalie Chambers Snapp’s ‘Heart Sisters’ and Girls’ Night Out Giveaway


Want to be a better friend and have better friends? Natalie Chambers Snapp wrote Heart Sisters just for you! She uses her own and others’ stories of successes and failures to illustrate what she has learned about girlfriend relationships. Discussion questions, space to journal, photos, and quick interviews of healthy female friendships are included within each chapter.




Help Natalie celebrate the release of her new book by entering to win goodies you'll need for a girls' night out with your heart sister!




heart sisters-400


One grand prize winner will receive:


Enter today by clicking the icon below. But hurry, the giveaway ends on May 17th. Winner will be announced May 18th on Natalie's blog.




heart sisters-enterbanner
{NOT ON FACEBOOK? ENTER HERE.}

**************************************************************

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this book! Glad I got a chance to review it. It's true that not every book is for everyone though, so it's nice to read someone else's opinions as well!

    ReplyDelete