Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Tapper Twins go to War(With Each Other) by Geoff Rodkey



Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (April 7, 2015) 240 pages

Description:

This brand-new series by a popular screenwriter is a pitch-perfect, contemporary comedy featuring twelve-year-old fraternal twins, Claudia and Reese, who couldn't be more different...except in their determination to come out on top in a vicious prank war! But when the competition escalates into an all-out battle that's fought from the cafeteria of their New York City private school all the way to the fictional universe of an online video game, the twins have to decide if their efforts to destroy each other are worth the price.

Told as a colorful "oral history" by the twins and their friends, and including photos, screenshots, chat logs, online gaming digital art, and text messages between their clueless parents, The Tapper Twins is a hilariously authentic showcase of what it's like to be in middle school in our digitally-saturated world.

My Rating: 3.5/5 stars (This is one of those books that I've been back and forth on what rating to give. I started with a 3, decided on a 4, then debated on going back to 3. I'm going to just try to settle on a 3.5 star.)

My Thoughts:

When I first looked at the cover, I wasn't too interested in reading this book. Then I saw that the author was the screenwriter for RV and Daddy Day Care, both being movies that I LOVE. I didn't hesitate to put it on my reading list at that point.

This book is funny! I laughed out loud a few times, and it was entertaining. That said, I firmly believe I would have enjoyed it SO much more as a movie. (Maybe I have that in mind because of how much I liked RV and Daddy Day Care.) It gets a little chaotic within the story. It's written to be an "oral history". The characters go back and forth talking. It mostly seems like a conversation. I kept imagining how much funnier everything would be as a movie, though. It's mostly written by Claudia, but Reese gets a great deal of page time, too. There's also several other characters that put their side of the story within the book, too.

I enjoyed the illustrations and pictures throughout, also. The mohawk portion of the story, along with the picture was probably my favorite part!

Overall, this is a funny book. It has a sweet sibling relationship underneath all the pranks, and a good message, overall(again, underneath all the pranks). There's lying and sneaking around behind the parents backs and all. Yet, I still like it, overall. There's lying and sneaking around behind parents' backs and all, which I typically don't care for. Yet, I still liked this one, overall. Maybe I'm just in desperate need of laughs! ;) I imagine the targeted age(that enjoy "notebook" style books) will love it, though. I have four nephews that I believe will love it.

*I was provided an ARC, in exchange for my honest opinion.

**********************************************

Purchase Link:

The Tapper Twins Go to War (With Each Other)

**********************************************


2 comments:

  1. I also received this one for review but I did NOT put it on my reading list. :) I can see why you'd find it appealing but nothing about it was attractive to me. From the title on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I can't say I blame you! This isn't one I'll keep around long term, but I did enjoy the laughs. :D

    ReplyDelete