Monday, April 13, 2015

The Start of You and Me by Emery Lord



Bloomsbury USA Childrens (March 31, 2015) 384 pages

Description:

It's been a year since it happened-when Paige Hancock's first boyfriend died in an accident. After shutting out the world for two years, Paige is finally ready for a second chance at high school . . . and she has a plan. First: Get her old crush, Ryan Chase, to date her-the perfect way to convince everyone she's back to normal. Next: Join a club-simple, it's high school after all. But when Ryan's sweet, nerdy cousin, Max, moves to town and recruits Paige for the Quiz Bowl team (of all things!) her perfect plan is thrown for a serious loop. Will Paige be able to face her fears and finally open herself up to the life she was meant to live?
******************************************************

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Sweet and full of nerdy goodness! Such fun!

I don't read a great deal of YA contemporaries, but there was something about this one that had me eager to get in its pages. When I do read YA contemporaries, I love nerdy-ness within them, and it was such a pleasant surprise to find lots of nerdy fun throughout the pages.

Despite being a fun read, there's still a great deal of grief dealt with. When the story starts, it's been about a year since Paige's boyfriend has died. She's trying to start over, and get past the grief and the nightmares, so she makes a list of things to do to help in that effort. She also receives some news from her parents. I'll admit that I gave her a hard time while reading for her reaction. I thought the news was thrilling, but she went into "crisis" mode. It took some time to see things from her point of view, but I finally saw how hard things must be for her. On top of it all, her beloved grandmother is living with Alzheimer's, and though Paige tells her everything, her grandmother doesn't remember.

The romance was initially unexpected, but sweet, and perfect for my tastes. It also warmed my reading heart to see many scenes within a bookstore. I was dreaming of visiting one myself! Paige's friends were some of the best I've read about!

Overall, this is a lovely and sweet story that doesn't hesitate to deal with the tough things in life. I'm looking forward to adding Open Road Summer to my reading list now!

Content:
Mild profanity, but a great deal of religious expletives.
No sex, only kissing, but there is a part that jokes about a hot dog/male part. (Of course, I could have done without some parts within the book!)
General things, like sneaking out, lying, partying, etc.

*I was provided an ARC, in exchange for my honest opinion.

*************************************************

Purchase Link:

The Start of Me and You

*************************************************

2 comments:

  1. Nerdy goodness sounds right up my ally! haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd probably love this one then! It's sweet! :)

      Delete