Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The League of Beastly Dreadfuls by Holly Grant



Random House Books for Young Readers (April 28, 2015) 320 pages

Description:

Anastasia is a completely average almost-eleven-year-old. That is, UNTIL her parents die in a tragic vacuum-cleaner accident. UNTIL she’s rescued by two long-lost great-aunties. And UNTIL she’s taken to their delightful and, er, “authentic” Victorian home, St. Agony’s Asylum for the Criminally Insane.

But something strange is going on at the asylum. Anastasia soon begins to suspect that her aunties are not who they say they are. So when she meets Ollie and Quentin, two mysterious brothers, the three join together to plot their great escape!
My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

This book was advertised as a mix between Roald Dahl and Mysterious Benedict Society, so there was no way I wanted to pass on reading it! I'd say it's more of a mix between Dahl and Joan Aiken, and what I like to call "wonderfully weird". Even with the liberal mention of "flatulence", I still adored this book!

Anastasia is an ordinary almost 11 year old that adores Francie Dewdrop mysteries and has "tragic flatulence". She has a loving dad, and a not so loving mom. One day she finds herself whisked away to a creepy old Victorian insane asylum, where she spends her days with her "aunties". Things get more and more exciting, yet creepy and even gross, as Anastasia takes a cue from her favorite fictional heroine, Francie, and starts investigating.

The narrator of this book talks to the reader as if telling a story in front of a campfire. We are called "gentle reader" or "alert reader" or something similar throughout the story. There are little breaks in the tale to address extra information pertaining to the story or tips for our lives should we ever find ourselves in Anastasia's circumstances. Although that might sound annoying, it was done beautifully within this book, and I adored it all the more because of it.

As I mentioned above, there is plenty of oddness within this book, and it won't be for everyone. I adore the odd worlds Dahl creates, but he's not for everyone. I imagine the same for this book and author.

The ending of this story leaves so many loose strings that I can't imagine there won't be another one. I'm very much looking forward to reading it!

*I was provided an ARC, in exchange for my honest opinion.


*********************************************

Purchase Link:

The League of Beastly Dreadfuls

*********************************************

1 comment:

  1. I really do love that you've created a new "wonderfully weird" genre. :)

    I saw the cover art first and I thought, "I bet this one gets 5/5 stars from her!" Sure enough! :) It does sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete