Friday, April 17, 2015

Motivate Your Child: A Christian Parent's Guide to Raising Kids Who Do What They Need to Do Without Being Told by Dr. Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller


Thomas Nelson (January 27, 2015) 261 pages

Book Description

Dr. Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller, RN, BSN, teach parents how to help children form the internal strength they'll need every day as they grow older.

Parents have the greatest influence on their children's character. Mom or Dad's words, choices, actions, and reactions mold a child's view of almost everything. It can be a terrifying thought. But there is hope.

Dr. Scott Turansky and Joanna Miller have spent years helping parents cultivate a healthy conscience and a vibrant faith in their kids. Motivate Your Child is a straightforward guide to doing this at home. Every chapter includes practical examples of families applying the Bible to their current issues, such as backtalking or being mean to siblings. From the "Integrity Package" to the "The Family Challenge," they offer words to say, plans to implement, and ideas for working it out day by day.

With God's help, it is possible to train and direct a child's internal motivation-motivation that will serve them for the rest of their lives.
My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

We carried the boys out to Toys R' Us a couple of weeks ago. It's a pretty big deal, since we don't have one in our little town. A lady stopped, and sweetly told me, in amazement, how good they were all being. I cut off the negative remark in my mind about what a rare moment it was, and simply said, "Thank you!". What I really wanted to do was hug her for her sweet encouragement. She will never know how much that simple moment meant to me. I've left worship services and grocery stores in tears, because I was so frustrated and overwhelmed. The truth is I spend more time than I'd care to in tears, because I don't know what to do. Our schedule has been especially difficult the past few months, and has stretched out a little longer than we first anticipated. I'm exhausted and impatient, and just an old "grumpy pants"! I feel as if there's a nervous breakdown around every corner, waiting to smother me. My children are sweet and precious and I love them dearly, but, just like me, they have areas that need better training. There have been plenty of methods I've used that just don't work. This book has reminded me to get to the "heart of the matter", and has given me many new ideas to try. It's also reminded me that change takes time, and to keep it up.

One thing that I love about this book is the fact that it doesn't just focus on the child, but it also focuses on ME. It reminds me to be a better example to my children, and to put the time and energy into doing it right. The best way to discipline isn't the easy way! Within this book, not only are there examples of various situations that need guidance, and what could be done to help, but there's also Bible lessons and verses, and discussions of events/people within the Bible. I felt like I was getting little mini Bible studies as I read through the book. I was grateful every time I saw an example and a possible solution for situations I'm struggling with, concerning both me and one(or all) of my boys.

The first half of the book focuses on discipline/training. The second half focuses on the "Family Challenge", which is "a practical plan to pass the faith on to your kids". I enjoyed getting fresh ideas for teaching the boys. For example, I got the idea to turn off all the lights in the house and follow a treasure map with a flashlight, in order to illustrate Psalm 119:105: "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.". My boys would love that! This section reminded me to put more effort and creativity into "Family Time".

This book has been a blessing! I feel like I need to start right back at the beginning, and reread, just to settle it all in my mind more deeply. I'm sure I'll be turning to this book many more times through my parenting years.

*I was provided an e-copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.


***********************************************

Purchase Link:

Motivate Your Child: A Christian Parent's Guide to Raising Kids Who Do What They Need to Do Without Being Told

***********************************************

1 comment:

  1. I so understand where you are coming from. I'll be on the look out for this one. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete