Monday, April 20, 2015

Kidnap: Guy Erma and The Son of Empire(Part 1) by Sally Ann Melia


Book Description:

I don’t want to go… Do I have to go?

13-year-old Prince Teodor of Freyne knows his duty to the memory of his father and his kingdom. Always, he must help those less fortunate than himself. Yet a frightening nightmare fills him with foreboding, but still he must do - into the Dome.

13-year-old Guy Erma lives in the shadow of the Dome, he has no father and no mother and his future is uncertain, he must start earning a living when he turns 14. He knows not where he will live or even how he will eat, and his only dream is to enter the military academy - at the heart of the Dome.

Two boys as different as any two boys might be. One act of cruelty will throw their lives together, but who dare they trust?

*****************************************************

My Thoughts:

I've been experimenting lately with reading more books in the "science fiction" realm, as opposed to "fantasy". Most of these have been space related. There's been some hits and some misses. Thankfully, this one was a hit, and I enjoyed it.

When the story starts out, we're introduced to several characters, and it took a bit of time to get everyone settled in my mind. By the end, though, I had my favorites. There's still mysteries as to who is good vs. bad or anywhere in between, and I tend to love having that guessing game throughout books. I enjoyed the pictures included throughout the story. I was having a hard time visualizing some of the characters, and I greatly appreciated having a vision to hang onto. I also appreciated scrolling through Sally's Pinterest boards. This helped me even more! Within this story, there are gorans and shape-shifting/telepathic aliens and battle borgs, so from that, you can imagine why I appreciated the pictures so much! ;)

I also enjoyed the fashion aspect of the book. Now when it comes to fashion, I stick with the basics and what I like, and really couldn't care less about what's "in". So, it may come as a surprise to anyone that knows me to discover I like reading about fashion(at least these days), even if I don't necessarily care about it in real life. ;) I recently added another book to my reading list purely because of the fashion aspect, so I was pleasantly surprised to find it in this book. Of course, there's so much more to this book than the fashion aspect, which is really minor in comparison to the rest. There's blades and battles, a kidnapping, secrecy, and lets not forget the gorans! This is a perfect book for fans of science fiction, whether male or female.

Kidnap is part 1(of 3, I believe), so it does end with a cliffhanger. I'm curious how everything will play out in the end.

Content:

Very mild profanity, religious expletives, mild violence

*I was provided an e-copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

*****************************************************



Author's Bio:

The author was born in Wallasey, England, in 1964, and moved to the South of France when she was eleven. She spent her teenage years living in the cosmopolitan city state of Monaco and became immersed in its many languages and cultures. An English girl in a French school, for three hours each week she would sit at the back of the class as her colleagues learnt English. To pass the time, she wrote stories. This led to a lifetime of writing novels, scripts, stories and articles.

In her working life, Sally writes marketing communications and manages large international websites.

In 2010, Sally joined the Hogs Back Writers, a club located on the outskirts of Guildford, and she set about turning an old manuscript into this novel: Guy Erma and the Son of Empire. Sally currently lives in Farnham, and she is married with two children.


Connect with Sally:

Website

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest


****************************************************

Purchase Link:

Kidnap: Guy Erma and the Son of Empire, Book 1

****************************************************




iRead Book Tours


****************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment