Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas



HarperTeen (February 24, 2015) 357 pages

Description:

One hundred years after falling asleep, Princess Aurora wakes up to the kiss of a handsome prince and a broken kingdom that has been dreaming of her return. All the books say that she should be living happily ever after. But as Aurora understands all too well, the truth is nothing like the fairy tale.

Her family is long dead. Her "true love" is a kind stranger. And her whole life has been planned out by political foes while she slept.

As Aurora struggles to make sense of her new world, she begins to fear that the curse has left its mark on her, a fiery and dangerous thing that might be as wicked as the witch who once ensnared her. With her wedding day drawing near, Aurora must make the ultimate decision on how to save her kingdom: marry the prince or run.
*******************************************

My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Thoughts:

A Wicked Thing is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. In this story, Aurora doesn't fall madly in love when her prince wakes her up with a kiss, though.

This book is mostly a "set-up" book for the rest of the series. It moves on the slow side, and it has a dark and gloomy kind of tone, as Aurora decides her next move. We're introduced to several characters, and instead of a love triangle, there seems to be 3 possibilities for guys within Aurora's future(if there is a romance in her future at all). Since characters are mostly just being introduced, I'm not even strongly rooting for one over the other right now.

Very Slight ****SPOILER**** Possibility Ahead!!

As I left this book, I got a strong hint for adventure and fun within the next book. It was almost like breathing a breath of fresh air myself, and now I'm greatly looking forward to seeing what decisions Aurora makes and where she goes. While I like the cover of this book, I'm excited to see the next book's cover. I feel like it will be brighter and happier.

End Spoiler.

Overall, while this book does move on the slower side, it still kept my interest throughout, and I can't wait to see how things play out in the end.

Content: Clean! I only recall one word of mild profanity. There's no sex scenes, and mild violence.


************************************************

Purchase Link:

A Wicked Thing

************************************************

3 comments:

  1. I started this one (won it in a Harper giveaway) and it wasn't quite what I was expecting. A bit slow, but I'll definitely finish it sometime because I do love a good fairytale. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Tammy. :)

    ReplyDelete