Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Lucado Treasury of Bedtime Prayers by Max and Denalyn Lucado



Description:

This collection of classic prayers, as well as brand-new prayers by Max and Denalyn Lucado, will help parents who want to make prayer a daily part of their children's lives.

Prayer is the foundation of a believer's life. This collection of prayers from Max and Denalyn Lucado offers parents a resource to teach little ones how to talk to God. This prayer collection includes classic prayers that have been updated for today's young readers, introductory stories for each section, as well as twenty new prayers for little ones written by Max and Denalyn.

Max and Denalyn open the book with an expanded introduction that instructs parents on teaching their children to pray. A helpful prayer builder taken from Max's trade book Before Amen teaches kids that there are four different kinds of prayers: worship, trust, compassion, and gratitude. This collection of new and classic children's prayers are divided into ten sections. Children will find it easier to learn to pray with examples showing that prayer is a dialogue with God for all times. Beautiful art by Lisa Alderson complements the keepsake style of the book.

It's never too early to lay a strong foundation for a child's faith, and the Lucado Treasury of Bedtime Prayers will help parents do just that.

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I was a bit hesitant at first to get this treasury. Even more so since the start of my blogging days, I'm pretty suspicious of "big time" preacher/authors. I guess that's yet another fault of mine. ;) In my efforts to surround ourselves with only things we love, though, we've gotten rid of quite a few books on our bedtime shelf that were more filler than anything. We wanted something else we could possibly love to add to the mix, and this looked like it had great potential.

My first thought was what a soothing and lovely book this is. It's a bit bigger than an average book, with a soft, padded front and back cover. There's a ribbon bookmark, and the pictures are so sweet. It very much has a classic feel to it.

Though, overall, I love this book, I think the title is a bit misleading. Some of the prayers/poems can be used for bedtime, but I've found myself toting this book up and down the stairs. Many of them just don't seem appropriate for bedtime, like when we're thanking God for a new day. The book is actually divided into sections. There's prayers and poems and Bible passages/verses to read for morning and night, thankfulness and forgiveness, and even for different holidays and seasons. It's a year round, night AND day kind of book. I also like that there's many, many different authors within the book.

As always, there's some that we don't care for. We just skip over those, or change a word or two. For example, there's one that starts out "Daddy God". I'm not comfortable with that, so I change it to "Dear God". There's so many poems and prayers in this book, disliking a few is just to be expected, and everyone has different styles and preferences.

Overall, this book truly is a treasure! I've already read a great deal from it to my boys, and it's one of those books that has stayed close by. I've enjoyed adding it to our days.

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

****************************************************

Purchase Link:

Lucado Treasury of Bedtime Prayers: Prayers for bedtime and every time of day!

***************************************************

1 comment: