Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White



HarperTeen (September 9, 2014) 288 pages

Description:

Jessamin has been an outcast since she moved from her island home of Melei to the dreary country of Albion. Everything changes when she meets the gorgeous, enigmatic Finn, who introduces her to the secret world of Albion's nobility, a world that has everything Jessamin doesn't—power, money, status . . . and magic. But Finn has secrets of his own, and the vicious Lord Downpike will do anything to possess them. Unless Jessamin, armed only with her wits, can stop him.

*******************************************************

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I've heard awesome things about White's writing, so I've been wanting to give more of her books a try. Not too long ago, I read Mind Games. The writing style drove me insane, and rattled my nerves, even though I enjoyed the story. After reading this book, which didn't have the same nerve rattling writing, I realized what an awesome job White did for the personality of the main character in Mind Games.

This book was pure fun, though, and it also robbed me of sleep. There's little mysteries entwined in the story, and I couldn't wait to see how everything came together. There were some parts that I thought would be more mystery than there actually was, especially concerning a certain little bird. I couldn't help but be left disappointed with that whole situation. There were people that I knew had some sort of connection, but I couldn't figure out how.

Although I liked Jessamin, she was one of the most stubborn characters I've read about! I was shaking my head at some of her decisions. Her background, and the treatment of women that she's used to, made her stubbornness more bearable, though. Eleanor was the highlight of the story, though(aside from Sir Bird). She was fun and surprising.

The ending happens kind of quickly, and I would have liked it stretched out a bit more, but loose strings were tied decently. As far as I know, this is a standalone. As much as I appreciate standalones, the more I think about it, the more I hope we get another book with these characters. It's also a quick read, at less than 300 pages, so every little thing isn't explained. I really liked the story, though, so I'll attempt not to let that bother me. I would have liked more details, though.

Really, this is a whimsical kind of read, with dark parts, but mostly sweet and fun. There are snicker worthy moments throughout. It's perfect for a quick read for those that want a little romance, but not overkill. ;) (which is me more and more, the older I get) I'm now excited to read more by White!

Content:

Clean! There's no profanity or sex, just mild kissing. There is some violence.

*Thanks to my local library for lending me an e-copy!

*******************************************************

Purchase Link:

Illusions of Fate


*******************************************************


1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one, Tammy! I think I have a copy and am definitely planning on reading it. The cover is awesome and it sounds really good, too. :)

    ReplyDelete