Monday, February 23, 2015

Princess Academy: The Forgotten Sisters by Shannon Hale




Bloomsbury USA Childrens (February 24, 2015) 336 pages


Description:

After a year at the king's palace, Miri has learned all about being a proper princess. But the tables turn when the student must become the teacher!

Instead of returning to her beloved Mount Eskel, Miri is ordered to journey to a distant swamp and start a princess academy for three sisters, cousins of the royal family. Unfortunately, Astrid, Felissa, and Sus are more interested in hunting and fishing than becoming princesses.

As Miri spends more time with the sisters, she realizes the king and queen's interest in them hides a long-buried secret. She must rely on her own strength and intelligence to unravel the mystery, protect the girls, complete her assignment, and finally make her way home.

Fans of Shannon Hale won't want to miss this gorgeously woven return to this best-selling, Newbery Honor-winning series.

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed The Princess Academy a few years back. I recently attempted The Stone Palace, but ended up setting it aside about a third of the way through due to lack of connection and interest. I went into this one a little guarded, but it has ended up being my favorite of the three books!

In this book, Miri meets lots of new people in a swamp village, making both friends and enemies. Even though she has been looking forward to going home to her family, she takes on the challenge of tutoring a set of sisters, far from her home, and far from Peder. Miri faces a great deal of challenges and battles during her journey.

Some of the connections made, especially when pulled from the other books, really pulled on my heartstrings. Since my husband was sitting beside me as I read, I tried hard to curb the tears, but it was hard! ;) This is a super sweet book, but it's also full of action and politics and war, and even heartache. Within its pages are so many wonderful lessons for little girls. The value of education and reading and learning are constantly brought to attention. Any book that makes me want to pick up a history book and LEARN after reading it is a treasure, in my opinion. This one does just that!

Since swamp life is through a good portion of the book, there were some pretty gross "gag-worthy" moments. At one point, one of the girls suck the roasted eyeballs out of an animal(fish or rat...I can't remember now). I had to put the book down to get the vision out of my mind before continuing.

Miri grows, both in age and maturity, throughout the 3 books, so the romantic aspect also grows a little more with each edition. Thoughts of marriage and love grow more abundant, but it still takes a backseat to the rest of the story.

I've now read several of Hale's books. Her fantasy books, like this one, have such a mild fantasy element to them, I almost hate to label them so. This series IS fantasy, though mild.

Overall, this is a wonderful little series, I can highly recommend it for young girls!

*I was provided an ARC, in exchange for my honest opinion.


****************************************************


Purchase Links:

Princess Academy

Princess Academy: Palace of Stone

Princess Academy: The Forgotten Sisters


****************************************************





****************************************************


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your review! I absolutely loved the first book, and have been nervous to read the second in case of a let-down. Now that I know the third book is great, I think I'll continue the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you loved this one so much. Now I will have to got myself a copy.

    ReplyDelete