Monday, February 9, 2015

Dearest by Alethea Kontis




HMH Books for Young Readers (February 3, 2015) 288 pages

Description:

In her third book about the delightful Woodcutter sisters, Alethea Kontis masterfully weaves "The Wild Swans," "The Goose Girl," and a few other fine-feathered fairy tales into a magical, romantic companion novel to Enchanted and Hero.

Readers met the Woodcutter sisters (named after the days of the week) in Enchanted and Hero. In this delightful third book, Alethea Kontis weaves together some fine-feathered fairy tales to focus on Friday Woodcutter, the kind and loving seamstress. When Friday stumbles upon seven sleeping brothers in her sister Sunday's palace, she takes one look at Tristan and knows he's her future. But the brothers are cursed to be swans by day. Can Friday's unique magic somehow break the spell?

My Thoughts:

The Woodcutter Sisters series follows the magical lives of a set of sisters, named after the days of the week. I highly recommend reading them in order. Even though each book is mainly about a different sister, there is a great deal mentioned about the adventures within the other books. I imagine it would get very confusing to read them out of order. Enchanted is about the youngest sister, named Sunday. Hero is about Saturday, and Dearest is about Friday, the sweetest of them all.

As much as I enjoyed the other two books, Dearest has been my favorite! Where Hero picked right up where Enchanted left off, Dearest goes back in time to almost the beginning of Hero, and unless I'm mistaken, it ends before Hero ends, too. We get to see what was happening back at home while Saturday had her adventure. Friday proves her heart is pure gold, but she also proves she has the brave heart of a hero, too.

I love the way Kontis mixes so many different fairy tales together. I admit, I saw more fairy tale mixing in the first book, Enchanted, but I imagine I would recognize more if I read more fairy tales. I'm hoping that each of the other sisters will get their own book, and I can't wait to read more about the Woodcutter sisters!

These are quick and light reads, but at the same time, they have a darkness to them. There are some gruesome parts, but not so much I couldn't handle it. I expect a little darkness to most fairy tales. There's also just enough romance that it wasn't overkill, but still sweet. While Dearest DOES have an "instant love" connection, it actually didn't bother me with the way it was done.

If you like fun fairy tale retellings, I can easily recommend this series to you!

((mild profanity in all 3 books))

*I was provided an ARC, in exchange for my honest opinion.

*********************************************************

Purchase Links:

Enchanted (The Woodcutter Sisters Book 1)(only $1.99 on kindle as I'm creating this post....check price before buying, though!)

Hero (The Woodcutter Sisters Book 2)

Dearest (The Woodcutter Sisters Book 3)



********************************************************








********************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment