Monday, January 19, 2015

The Secret of Pembrooke Park by Julie Klassen



Bethany House Publishers (December 2, 2014) 464 pages

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I've grown to love Klassen's writing! I get to lose myself in a Regency romance, with a big dose of mystery, and that just makes me happy. I've been enjoying mysteries more and more as my reading days progress and the little challenge to my brain they produce. There were many secrets and layers within this story, and I appreciated how complicated it was, providing a more difficult mystery to figure out. (I didn't figure out the secrets concerning Pembrooke Park before they were revealed, in case you're curious.)

I loved Abigail's character. She's strong and sensible and sweet. She's described as not being the prettiest girl around, but she keeps her chin up and makes the best of life. Her sister is a beauty, and demands the attentions of those around her. I loved how Abigail handles those difficult situations.

Here's where I'll complain just a bit. There are scenes of "edginess" within the story, in regards to the two main characters. I'd just rather that kind of stuff not be in there. I know there are single, Christian young ladies reading books like these, and I imagine it's pretty impossible to keep a pure mind while reading such scenes. The older I get, the more those kinds of scenes annoy me. Those scenes make this a book that I have to be more careful about who I recommend it to, where otherwise I would freely recommend it.

Overall, despite my complaint, I still loved this story, and I'm still marking it as a favorite. It was a lovely mystery and I enjoyed it!

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.

Purchase Link:

The Secret of Pembrooke Park



1 comment: