Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Messy Beautiful Love by Darlene Schacht



Thomas Nelson (September 16, 2014) 240 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

When I first discovered there was a whole new world of blogging encouragement, Darlene's blog, Time Warp Wife, was one of the very first blogs to enter my feed. Several years later, and I still find encouragement there. When I learned she was writing a book, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it!

I think most of us know the general rules when it comes to marriage. Putting them into practice is the hard part! Books like this one is the extra boost of guidance I need sometimes(always!). Messy Beautiful Love is a large part memoir, but there are many pages of encouragement for married ladies, too. There's also a few question and answer sessions, consisting of letters from readers and answers from Darlene. She makes it very clear that there is no such thing as a perfect marriage, and things get messy. She tells of her affair at the start of the book. This took me by surprise, but I appreciate her honesty! Sometimes it's too easy for bloggers to hide behind an image of perfection, and I appreciate the ones that step out of hiding.

I really DO think this is a great book for marriage encouragement. I can almost guarantee you will get a boost of marriage encouragement by reading it. But, there were a couple of things I wasn't so fond of. When an author proclaims that God told them to write something in their book(spoke, not led), a big giant flag starts waving in my mind. As with everything on my blog, you're free to take or leave that, since something like that may or may not bother you. It's at the beginning of the book, and honestly after reading it, I put the book down for a good long while. Also, there was a comment concerning divorce(in a round about way) that I wish was expanded on a bit more. *Ultimately*, I think I agree with her, to an extent, but I believe that women will read her advice and possibly make an un-Biblical choice, since it wasn't expanded on, nor do I know exactly where the author stands on the issue. Based on the letters within this book, it proves that women highly value her opinion and advice. God's Word is always the most important, though. (I say that kindly! :) *I* have gleaned lots of encouragement from her myself, especially with this book.)

Other than my couple of issues, I greatly enjoyed reading Messy Beautiful Love! Also, it's a quick read, which is just what I needed right now.

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.


Purchase Link:

Messy Beautiful Love: Hope and Redemption for Real-Life Marriages



2 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me. I've been meaning to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering about this book, too. I suspect I could learn a lot. Thank you for noting your concerns.

    ReplyDelete