Monday, November 3, 2014

The Christmas Light by Donna Van Liere



St. Martin's Press (October 14, 2014) 225 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

It's time for Christmas books now, right?! (I actually read this one at the beginning of October.) :)

I have come to firmly believe that you shouldn’t go through a Christmas season without reading something from Donna Van Liere. Her books are short and sweet, with a light romance. They’re clean, and always bring people together in unexpected ways. Small little connections turn into big ones, and heartstrings are always pulled. I’ve yet to make it through one of her books without tears.

I’ve read (and enjoyed) almost everything Van Liere has written. My momma has, too, and she’s not even a big reader. This book has characters and connections from her other Christmas books, but it’s been so long since I’ve read them, that I didn’t recognize everyone like I would have liked. That means I need to spend this Christmas catching up with some re-reads!

In this particular story, the focus is mainly on 4 groups of people, though we DO get to know many more, both old and new. Jennifer has a 6 year old daughter that can’t move past her dad’s death. Ryan and his daughter are looking for a new place to live, while still learning to deal with his divorce. There’s also Kaylee, who is pregnant at 16, and feeling guilty at the changes happening to her family. Stephen and Lily befriend Kaylee and try to cheer her up with all jokes, but she soon learns that the have their own heartbreak happening.

I can easily recommend this book. Add it to your Christmas line-up, for sure!

*I was provided an ARC through Amazon Vine, in exchange for my honest opinion.

Purchase Link:

The Christmas Light


8 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your review! I have been looking at this book. It has such a lovely Christmas feel cover, too!

    Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cover alone could put one in the Christmas spirit, couldn't it?! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Me, too! I think the only one I haven't read of hers yet is a non-Christmas story, but I still need to add it to my list.

      Delete
  3. Christmas stories are awesome and each year I think I'm going to read more and rarely do. *sigh* Guess this year I should remedy that - right now I'm reading the YA novella My True Love Gave to Me.

    What's cool about this author is (I like the idea that her stories are short!) that I believe her books have been made into TV movies and they're all so poignant and sweet. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read as many Christmas stories as I hope to, either. Once again, I have plans to read more this year. (I don't think I've saw all the movies based on these books, so I need to watch those this year, too!)

      Delete
  4. Um, YUP, great minds alright! :D I'll put this on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good book.

    I reviewed `The Christmas Promise` on my blog.
    I'll leave the link if you would like to read it.
    Congratulations on being invited to join Amazon Vine.

    http://newhorizonreviews.blogspot.com/2011/01/review-christmas-promise-donna-vanliere.html

    ReplyDelete