Monday, November 10, 2014

Robots in Children's Books



HMH Books for Young Readers (October 7, 2014) 208 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

When I first started reading this book, I thought it was super corny, and I didn’t think I would like it at all. Thankfully, it won me over pretty quickly. Even though there are people in this story, I was constantly reminded of the movie, Robots, which I love! I also got a Meet the Robinsons vibe. (I JUST wrote a review saying how much I have a love/hate relationship with these kinds of comparisons!) There were still moment of corniness, but overall, I enjoyed it.

Since this is a short book, the reader quickly realizes that this book is a mystery. Also, it’s action-packed, with a battle for humanity. The ending leaves you knowing there will be more books in this series. I think my boys will have fun reading it a couple of years down the road.

*I was provided a review copy through Amazon Vine.

Purchase Link:

The Junkyard Bot: Robots Rule, Book 1





Scholastic Inc.; Revised edition (April 29, 2014) 112 pages

My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Ricky is a small mouse, and he’s always getting picked on. That is, until he meets Robot!

Grasshopper is really small for his age. Though he's 6, he’s the size of a small 3 year old. I thought he might connect with Ricky. As a parent, I can’t say this was my favorite book. Grasshopper liked it okay, though he became a little confused with parts. I think this is one he'll probably enjoy more a bit down the road, when he's reading by himself.

This is somewhat of a combination book/comic book. Grasshopper really enjoyed the book part, but became confused during the comic book parts. We don’t read much in the “comic” realm just yet. There was one point where the scenes are viewed by flipping 2 pages back and forth really quick. There were 5 scenes like this. He didn’t really get it. I tried to explain to him what was going on, though.

The whole book is in full color, so we enjoyed that part! It’s also a very quick read.

Overall, we both thought it was okay, but not a favorite. Again, though, I think Grasshopper will most likely end up revisiting this book, and enjoy it more later. I really think it will appeal to beginning readers, particularly in the boy realm.

*I was provided a review copy through Amazon Vine.

Purchase Link:

Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot (Book 1)





1 comment:

  1. This looks like a book that my bookworm boys would get a kick out of it...but that I would be driven a bit nuts by. :D So, we shall see if I giveth in.....

    ReplyDelete