Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Balance Keepers: Fires of Calderon by Lindsay Cummings



Katherine Tegen Books (September 23, 2014) 352 pages

My Rating: 3.5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I have a love/hate relationship with comparing a book, like this one, with other books, in an attempt to draw in readers. I saw this one compared to Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and a Brandon Mull book. With all those comparisons, I automatically put it on my must read list.

Unfortunately, comparisons like that usually end up making a reader go in with too high of expectations. I really don’t think this is fair to a book, but that’s just the way it is.

I think, due to my expectations being too high, it took me well into a third of this book to get into it enough to actually want to finish it. I had to set it aside different times in hopes of liking it more when I picked it back up.

That said, though it took a little while, I DID get into it enough that I’m looking forward to the next book in the series. And, I can see how the other book comparisons come into the picture within this story, though I would have liked to have seen more fleshing out within it. I had a hard time picturing the world that was created, along with some of the creatures.

Overall, this is a fun story with friendship, loyalty, and adventure. Just be prepared to give it a little time if it doesn’t click at first.

((Even though this wasn't my favorite book ever, I'm pretty surprised it wasn't nominated for the Cybils!))

*I was provided a review copy through Amazon Vine.

Purchase Link:

Balance Keepers #1: The Fires of Calderon





No comments:

Post a Comment