Friday, October 31, 2014

A Beautiful Mess: Happy Handmade Home by Elsie Larson and Emma Chapman



Potter Style (August 26, 2014) 240 pages

My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

I can remember a time, when I was single and without kids, that I would have LOVED this book. I can easily imagine myself as a younger person doing/making most of the things within this book. It's a very artsy and hip, retro kind of decorating, but at the same time, very simple. I was never "hip" at any point in my life, but I liked bright, artsy things. At one stage, I remember the odder and brighter the shirt, the better. (Oh, I wish I had pictures to make fun of my self back then.)

I really enjoyed looking through this book. There's all kinds of creativity and beauty within it. It's not overly my style these days, though. (That, or it wouldn't easily work in our current season of life.) The thought of hanging dishes on my dining room wall makes me want to cry a little, but it was still fun to look at how someone else saw beauty in it. A wall full of animal horns makes me want to cry more. I WAS able to pull a few ideas out that I really like. The wagon full of books made my heart skip a beat in happiness. I connected the most with the outdoor spaces. Using empty "soup" cans as flower pots is so simple and cute, and I love it. I also love that this book encouraged me to think outside the box, and reuse items. Most of the ideas in this book can be done pretty inexpensively.

Ultimately, I think most of us, no matter what styles and taste in decor, could benefit from this book. It IS inspiring, and I think that was the point of the book! I'm encouraged more to make our space into something that we love. I'd probably recommend you check it out at the library first, though, just to see how much you connect with it..

*I was provided a review copy, in exchange for my honest opinion.


Purchase Link:

A Beautiful Mess Happy Handmade Home: Painting, Crafting, and Decorating a Cheerful, More Inspiring Space




5 comments:

  1. I remember my mom hanging plates on our walls.
    I thought it was so creative.

    I also like the idea of planting using cans.
    I have seen it done with labels still on and thought it looked very artsy.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have been more specific than "dishes". The arrangement in here had pots and pans and drainers. :) (stainless steel things) Still, I'm thrilled when anyone finds happiness in their decor, even if not for me. That's why God created us so varied. :D

      Delete
  2. Sounds up my alley. I love books that encourage creativity and discourage spending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know when I got this book, but the authors apparently have a blog with lots of decorating ideas.

      Delete
  3. I am definitely connecting with you over the idea that we have to make our homes into something that our own families love and would use well. I like looking through books like these for the exact same reasons - the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete