Thursday, September 18, 2014

Treasury of Bible Stories by Kelly Pulley




My Thoughts:

I feel like I need to defend myself with this book. When I told Jonathan that I was offered a “rhyming Bible”, he cringed a little.

“But, no, I accepted it! And, I’m excited about it!”

Before giving you my reasons for accepting, I do want to point out how much I dislike the fact that this book is being promoted as a book for parents to not get tired of reading the same Bible event over and over. Shameful. I’ll refrain from my soapbox, and just leave it at that.

Now, I’ll give you my reasons for wanting to give this book a try, just like I gave them to Jonathan.

First of all, I’m a firm believer that rhyming promotes memory. Plain and simple.

Secondly, I grew up hearing rhyming songs in Bible class. My children are hearing those same songs in their Bible classes, plus some new ones. I have a binder FULL of these kinds of songs that I sing with them. Almost all of them rhyme.

One of my childhood favorites:

“Zacchaeus was a wee little man,
And a wee little man was he.
He climbed up in a sycamore tree,
For the Lord he wanted to see.
And as the Savior passed that way,
He looked up in that tree.
And He said, ‘Zacchaeus, you come down!
For I’m going to your house today.
For I’m going to your house to stay.’”

This one is Firefly’s all time favorite.

“Day One, Day One
God made the light when there was none.
Day One, Day One.
God made everything!

Day Two, Day Two
God made clouds and skies so blue
Day Two, Day Two
God made everything!”

(and so on)

Surely I’m not the only one who loved those songs as a child, and now as a parent. ;)

Lastly. *Supplement* is always the key word when it comes to God’s Word!

I’ll get to the book now. It only arrived Monday, so I haven’t had the chance to be as thorough as I’d like. I have read through several of the “stories”, and I like it, so far!

That said, it isn’t really what I was expecting it to be. I imagined a book with lots of little rhymes pertaining to Bible events and people, as opposed to the longer rewordings that it really is. There are 20 Bible events in here. I would have preferred the smaller bits and pieces to supplement our lessons, but again, I DO like this book, so far. The rhyming really isn’t as noticeable as one would think with “Dr. Seuss” being thrown about in some descriptions.

I love the pictures in here. They are very cartoon-y. If you know me at all, you know I love sweet, cartoon-y pictures in children’s book. They are a weakness of mine. I’m finding myself in a constant tug of war lately as to whether this is wise with Bible events/people, but for now, we’re still using pictures like in this book: bright and fun and attention grabbing.

Overall, don’t let the “rhyming” part get to you! If you and your little ones read other “Bible story” books, give this one a chance!

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

Purchase Link:

Treasury of Bible Stories: Rhythmical Rhymes of Biblical Times (Magnificent Tales Series)


Celebrate the Treasury of Bible Stories by entering the Rhythmical Rhymes Kindle Giveaway!

Part of the Magnificent Tales series, Treasury of Bible Stories: Rhythmical Rhymes of Biblical Times will delight children ages 4–8 with rhyming Bible stories pairing spiritual truths with playful illustrations.



Enter the Rhythmical Rhymes Kindle Giveaway 9/15 – 10/12.

Treasury of Bible Stories Kelly Pulley
One grand prize winner will receive:

  • A Kindle HDX
  • Treasury of Bible Stories by Kelly Pulley
Enter today by clicking one of the icons below. But hurry, the giveaway ends on October 12th. Winner will be announced October 13th at Kelly's blog.



Don't miss a moment of the fun; enter today and be sure to visit Kelly's blog on the 13th to see if you won!

2 comments:

  1. I always liked the Zacchaeus song.
    The `God made everything` song is new to me.
    Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up singing the Zacchaeus song, too! I think rhyming is a fun way for kids to remember Bible stories and scripture. I'll keep an eye out for a copy! (=

    ReplyDelete