Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Move On: When Mercy Meets Your Mess by Vicki Courtney



My Rating: 4/5 stars

My Thoughts:

You may remember that Vicki’s book, Ever After: Life Lessons Learned in My Castle of Chaos, was one of my favorite reads last year. I couldn’t resist this one!

I’ve been hanging onto this post for awhile now, because I’ve had so much going through my mind about the book. Honestly, I’d prefer to just hang onto my thoughts, and not even write them out. I do tend to get personal in many of my reviews, but I’m choosing to discuss the basics in this one, and keep a great deal of the thoughts I’ve had to myself. I’ll add in right here that there was a great deal of deleting going on as I wrote this.

I will say that the Lord has really been working on me in the area of “judgment”. He’s showing me just how judgmental I’ve been, and it’s been a hard lesson to chew on. This book has been one of the ways He’s worked on me.

Also, I’ve made it no secret that I’m probably the most emotional person you could ever meet. Vicki made me cry on page x. That’s right. I cried in the preface, before the pages were even numbered. I cried and learned my way through this book.

You can really read this book in two ways: the person in the mess, or the person judging the one in the mess. We’ve all been on both sides! Some of us may *seem* to have smaller messes, but we all have messes in some way or another. Vicki starts out by telling us a little more about her life before accepting Christ. She tells about her experience as a child(and even older) going to church service and feeling like an outsider. She tells about some of her bad decisions, including an abortion, and the price she’s paid and the judgment she’s faced. She also tells of her life after becoming a Christian and some of the judgments she’s doled out, or the times she’s did the right thing. I learned a great deal about both sides. I don’t remember a time not going to worship service as a child, so seeing through Vicki’s eyes as a child has changed me.

I’m just a mess, in general, right now, and I’m grateful the Lord is constantly working on me. I’m grateful He put this book in front of me, too.

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

Purchase Link:

Move On: When Mercy Meets Your Mess





5 comments:

  1. I knew I recognized that name. Sounds like one I need to read, too. And maybe cry.

    :) Tears can be good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cry super early on sometimes too. To me, that says, "Whoa this book is for you."

    I'm so glad you found something that resonated with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, I feel ya on having to keep bits to yourself. The way non fiction Christian books hit us is often very personal and deep.

      Delete
  3. Woah. Boy howdy. You made me want to read this one!! Actually, what you made me want to do is fly to where you are and sit down with a large cup of tea and just talk and talk and talk and talk!!!!

    But buying the book is probably cheaper. I'll go for it based on your rather compelling review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with her writing, so I've avoided this book even though I've heard good things. I may have to give it a go, though, thanks to your review. (=

    ReplyDelete