Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Draw-A-Saurus: Everything You Need to Know to Draw Your Favorite Dinosaurs by James Silvani



Purchase Link:

Draw-A-Saurus: Everything You Need to Know to Draw Your Favorite Dinosaurs

My Thoughts:

As I've recently mentioned here at my blog, I have the desire to learn to draw/paint/color. I've been practicing with some of the step by step drawing books. Nope. I'm still not any good at it, BUT I did draw a Viking a few days ago, and without me telling him, Grasshopper knew what it was and seemed pretty proud of me. ;)

When I saw this book, I couldn't resist! I knew if I could learn to draw a dinosaur, my boys would automatically think I was a little more fun. Who doesn't want to be a fun mommy?!

When it comes to dinosaur books, I expect to read about evolution. Most of the time, I can ignore it. There's only been a few that were so overwhelming with the "millions of years ago....." that I decided to just remove them from our home. This book DOES include a bit of evolution talk, but a young Christian artist can still learn from the drawing lessons without very much "overlooking". There's little dinosaur facts mixed in with the drawing lessons.

This book is definitely targeted towards children! It's filled with bright and fun colors, and lots of humor and silliness. I didn't notice it until the book was in my hands, but there's a dinosaur skipping along with a basket of blueberries. There's lots of fun things like that throughout.

As a beginner myself, I don't think this is the best book to get a child just learning to draw. I definitely think it would be best for a child that already knows some basics. I've been using super beginner step by step books. This one has far fewer steps, along with much greater detail, and even lessons in coloring the dinosaurs. That's definitely not a complaint! I just think I will benefit from it a little more into my journey. That hasn't stopped me from practicing the dinosaurs within this book, though. Mine just don't look anywhere near the finished product(and that's okay, right now).

If you have a young person in your life that has a bit of drawing practice already, this is a fun option! 4 of my nephews have requested drawing books/supplies for Christmas within the past few years, so I'm keeping this one in mind should they request another one.

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

About the Author:

JAMES SILVANI is an artist and illustrator and has drawn characters for Disney, Warner Bros., Dreamworks, Lucasfilm, and Marvel Comics. Currently he is a comic book illustrator for titles like Disney’s Mickey Mouse, DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, and The Muppets. Silvani has drawn dinosaurs and other prehistoric beasts since childhood, and now puts those skills to use in art workshops at libraries, schools, and comic book conventions. Silvani is a resident of Kihei, Hawaii.

3 comments:

  1. I will make a note of this.

    I'm totally giggling about your drawing an identifiable Viking! :D Bookworm2 is currently very. interested. in Vikings and I bet if I could draw one *I'D* be the "fun mommy." :D Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! I'd love to learn how to pencil/sketch. (=

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our middle child was very artistic.

    He still is, but now he uses clay.

    Thanks for stopping by today.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete