Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Candle Prayers for Kids by Claire Freedman



My Rating: 3.5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

At first, I didn't like this book at all. Jonathan and I made fun of it a bit as we read through some of the prayers. While I still don't like parts of it, I DO appreciate it more than I originally did. You just have to keep in mind that not all of the prayers will be appropriate for every child at every time. Think of them as examples!

Many of the prayers are *super* specific.

"Dear God,
My uncle and auntie came to visit.
They brought me a huge teddy.
My uncle told me funny jokes.
Thank you for my uncle and auntie, God.
Goodnight, God.
P.S. Teddy says goodnight, too!"

I don't imagine it's that common for aunts and uncles to bring a huge teddy when they visit. Maybe occasionally. ;)

This didn't bother me at all, but just so you know, there's lots of British talking within this book. For example, Mummy, maths, "get on" instead of "get along", etc.

This did bother me.

"Dear God,
Our world is millions of years old....."

What?!

There ARE lots of wonderful, beautiful examples of prayers for little ones in here, though.

"Dear God,
Thank you for the changing seasons.
For the beauty of spring,
When lambs are born and flowers
bloom everywhere.
For long hot summer days,
When we can play outside and
enjoy the sunshine.
For autumn, when the fruit is
ripe for picking,
And leaves tumble from
the trees: red, gold,
and yellow.
Thank you for the snows
and ice of winter,
That turn our fields
into white winter
wonderlands.
Thank you for the
seasons, God.
Amen."

Overall, we'll take some and leave some!

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

Purchase Link:

Candle Prayers for Kids





1 comment:

  1. I think Candle is from England...which explains the British words but not the millions of years.

    ReplyDelete