Friday, September 26, 2014

A Few Books I Liked!

Despite my inactivity around here, I've been reading a great deal! Though I had determined to not take on any more review books, I've had moments of weakness, and several have made their way into our home. Most of them are future releases, so I'll hold off on them for a couple more months. I've also put several down, unfortunately, mostly due to language. I've had the craving for biographies lately, and I've read several of those. A few have been short and written for middle grade kids, but I'm still counting it! ;) I'm learning that sometimes it's best to not know too much about some people. (I'm looking at you, Roald Dahl and Charlie Chaplin.)

These books, I enjoyed, though:



The Nesting Place: It Doesn't Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful by Myquillen Smith

I kept eying this book, but never enough to pick it up. One day, I was browsing my library's e-books, and decided, spur of the moment, to grab it. I'm so glad I did!

Myquillen and I don't have the same tastes in decor at all, BUT I love her creativity. She's inspired me to take chances in my own home, and not worry about if it's "accepted" or not. When we were putting our cabinets into our kitchen, I debated on stain versus paint. I really liked the light stain on oak. Every time I went to pinterest, I only saw how to get rid of those "ugly" oak cabinets. I almost painted them, just because it was more popular these days, but I LOVE my natural stained oak cabinets! Our counter top is pretty much the same color as the cabinets, and though that's a "no-no" in the decorating world, I love it. I'm glad I didn't go with the crowd on those decisions, and I'm glad that Smith made me realize the beauty of being different in full.

She's also taught me to look past the obvious and see the potential. Paint goes a long way!

I love our little house, but it is quirky, and off center. There's not a single wall in this house that was built straight. (We bought it already built, by the way.) I'm learning to love the imperfections and quirks, and this was just the book I needed. I'm now pumped up to decorate our home in way that is more fitting to our tastes and lifestyles.




Raising Real Men: Surviving, Teaching and Appreciating Boys by Hal and Melanie Young

This book was such a blessing to me! It is filled with tons of advice for raising young men. Sometimes I feel so lost, and I appreciate the advice within this book. The advice concerning guns and heroes was especially useful in my current stage of parenting.

There's advice from childhood all the way to college. A great deal of the book doesn't apply to me right now, but I know I have this book to turn to when that time comes. Of course, I don't share all the same opinions and beliefs as the authors, but there was still plenty to gain from reading it.

This book is written with homeschooling moms in mind. I officially started homeschooling Grasshopper last month, so I'm glad I got to read it at the start of our journey.

This is an excellent book for homeschooling moms of boys! I don't hesitate to recommend it. I'm looking forward to listening to some of audios the Youngs have recorded!

(Thanks to a sweet friend for sending me this book!!!)




Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

Earlier this year, I read and loved Sky Raiders by Mull. (There's no doubt it will make it onto my "Top 10 of 2014" list!) I determined that I HAD to read all his other books.

I enjoyed it, but not as much as I thought I would. I feel completely unqualified to say this, but I think that Mull's writing has greatly improved since writing Fablehaven. It was still fun, though!

Just like Sky Raiders, Fablehaven gives us an ending without a cliffhanger, but it's still obvious that there's much more adventure to come. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Fablehaven series, but I'm looking MORE forward to reading the rest of the Sky Raiders series.

(Thanks to my local library for lending me e-copies of Fablehaven and The Nesting Place!)


4 comments:

  1. I thought I had read Raising Real Men but apparently I only put it on my wishlist. Glad to know that you liked it!

    I love looking at decorating books from time to time. It does help to inspire. I also think we HAVE to consider our own families when pulling things together. I recently moved my living room into the dining area and moved the dining area into the living area because it made more sense for the way our family uses our house. It takes people a bit aback when they first walk in but once they sit in it they all say it totally works. And it does! So go you on staining and not painting that wood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm curious about what your rearrangement looks like! :) You're right about considering our families. Especially since reading this book, I've been trying to clear my brain of all the "must" advice I've been storing through the years, and just do what works for us.

      With my stain comment, it's kind of sad at the list of furniture in line for painting now. ;)

      Delete
  2. Don't you think that type of book...when you don't relate to the author's style yet what she says hits home...is the best?

    So glad you enjoyed Raising Real Men. You'll have to remind me what they said about guns and fighting...because we're in the midst of it now. We actually took E's guns away for a week because he aimed at a person. We try to have a use/respect it like you would a real gun rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan and I had never allowed (play) guns in our home, period. (not even water guns) We'd really been back and forth as to whether or not to allow them, though. I'd read tons of articles, both positive and negative, and still hadn't decided. Just the way they put it in this book made me fully realize the benefit of the boys playing with them, though. We now have a large set of "Boomco" guns, and like you, just teach them not to point at anyone(just imaginary bad guys). So, they just basically swayed me to the "pro" side of playing with play guns. (It really sounds sad now that I'm writing it out!) ;)

      Delete