Thursday, August 28, 2014

Your Core by Callie Grant



My Thoughts:

We've greatly enjoyed the other Graham Blanchard books, so I was more than thrilled to give this one a try, too.

Your Core is a simple book, with very few words within it.

"A core is something on the inside.
Balls have a core.
Apples do too."

(5 page spread)

Each page has bright, colorful pictures to illustrate its point, and the book ends with a Bible verse.

Ephesians 3:16-17

"I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith."

In Your Core, your little one gets a lesson in cores, tying it to their core(soul). Admittedly, tying the core lesson to souls was difficult for my 3 and 5 year olds to grasp. They understand cores, in general. They realize an apple has a core, and that's where the seeds are. Telling them that their core is their soul was confusing for them. We haven't really talked about "souls" as a topic, though, and the fact that they have one. I hope it would go without saying, but we DO talk about God and Heaven(even though we get questions sometimes we don't know how to answer). We just haven't taught using the term "soul" very much. (I don't know whether to feel horrible about this or not now!) ;)

That said, I still appreciate this book! We got a mini science lesson(like some of the others in this series), and what's not to like about that?! I also like that you can go to the Graham Blanchard webpage and get extra resources for each book. I downloaded a "tip sheet" with various ways to help teach the book's message to my little ones. This is a perfect, gentle way to add a science lesson into our day, and it's been a great way to encourage me to teach my little ones about what exactly a soul is. Challenging their minds is a good thing, so I'll keep talking with them about it.

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

**Just a heads up: There's 8 copies being given away at Goodreads, so make sure you get your name in the hat!


No comments:

Post a Comment