Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The New Colored Pencil by Kristy Ann Kutch



About the Book:

Learn to draw and paint using colored pencils in The New Colored Pencil: a how-to guide for creating vibrant, textured, and easy art illustrations by best-selling author and teacher Kristy Kutch

Master the Latest Breakthroughs in Colored Pencil Art

If you want to create colorful, radiant works of art, colored pencil and related color media (wax pastels, watercolor pencils, and so on) provide you with limitless options for adding vibrancy to your creations. In The New Colored Pencil, artist and instructor Kristy Ann Kutch guides you through the latest developments in color drawing media with examples of and recommendations for the newest pencil brands, drawing surfaces, and groundbreaking techniques (including using the Grid Method, grating pigments, blending with heat, and more). Supported by step-by-step demonstrations and showcasing inspiring art from some of today’s best colored pencil artists, The New Colored Pencil shows you how to use color theory to your advantage, combine color media, create and enhance textures, and experiment with surfaces to create interesting effects. Whether you use traditional wax-based, or watercolor colored pencils, The New Colored Pencil will take your art to the next level.

Purchase Link:

The New Colored Pencil: Create Luminous Works with Innovative Materials and Techniques

About the Author:

KRISTY ANN KUTCH has taught more than two hundred colored pencil and watercolor pencil workshops to artists and students nationwide. She is the author of Drawing and Painting with Colored Pencil, and is a contributor to several colored pencil publications, including The Best of Colored Pencil, Creative Colored Pencil, and Colored Pencil Explorations. Her work has appeared in International Artist Magazine and Pratique des Arts. She also authored a DVD called Colored Pencil Landscapes: Beyond the Basics, released by Artist Palette Productions. Kutch is a resident of Michigan City, Indiana.

My Thoughts:

I'm new to the world of drawing/painting/art. Very new! My momma was blessed with a beautiful, natural talent to draw and paint. I grew up seeing her practice this talent and expand it. She has created beautiful pieces, and though I've always admired it, and wished I had been given that talent, I didn't get it naturally. That said, I DO want to learn to draw. It may not come naturally, but I've been feeling the pull in the artistic direction lately, and I really want to see what I can do with it. (Note: Even those blessed with natural talent have to put in hours/years of hard work and practice to grow and strengthen that talent, so please don't think I'm implying that's not the case!)

I decided to give The New Colored Pencil a try to see what it could teach me. There's all kind of beginner information in here! It's not really a step by step kind of book. Don't expect it to teach you how to draw step by step and color step by step for all the pictures. There ARE some steps on how to do certain techniques, but if you're wanting it specifically for that purpose, I think you'll be disappointed.

The book starts out explaining what kind of colored pencils are best. (Go for quality over quantity!) I loved that the book has different charts explaining different products, with characteristics(and price level for some). For example, the chart for colored pencils compares 13 different products. You can see how many shades each brand offers(these shades are shown in the appendix), price level, and characteristics for that particular brand. There are also other charts for materials you will need to create art with colored pencils. From there, you will see all kinds of definitions, directions, techniques, and many other things related to drawing with colored pencils. Honestly, for my beginner self, it's a little overwhelming at first, but I know that as I learn and grow, I'll get more and more benefit from this book.

As far as pictures, there are many of them to encourage you(or intimidate you)along the way. They have been created by various artists, and I'm amazed at the talent within this book! There's great beauty in these pages!

I DO recommend this book for beginners. If you're an old pro at colored pencil artistry, I imagine you'll already know most of this stuff. Then again, you might learn something new, too! :)

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I WANT to draw beautiful pictures. But alas. I cannot. :( (Of course, I also don't practice to improve in ANY way so there's that.)

    ReplyDelete