Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Berenstain Bears: God Shows the Way



Zonderkidz (August 5, 2014)

Purchase Link:

The Berenstain Bears God Shows the Way (I Can Read! / Berenstain Bears / Living Lights)


My Rating: 4/5 stars


My Thoughts:

When it comes to the Berenstain Bears series of books, I never know if it will be a hit or miss. There are some that I just plain hate. There are some that I like, though. I'm actually using The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature as part of Grasshopper's kindergarten "curriculum". I usually like to read them before deciding to use as a read aloud, though.

After reading this post, and deciding to do better about reading with little Bumblebee, I sat him down in my lap and starting reading this book as somewhat of a tester for the older boys. They were in their playroom watching Racing Stripes. When they heard me reading to Bumblebee, they came bounding into the living room and jumped on the couch to listen in, too. So, I didn't get the test reading I prefer, but thankfully, I mostly liked the stories within this book. My boys liked it, too, give it a combined 6 thumbs up.

The stories included are:

Faith Gets Us Through

Have No Fear, God is Near

Piggy Bank Blessings

I especially liked Faith Gets Us Through, because it includes a mini lesson for caves. I was just looking through activity books a couple of days ago, and planned on doing "shadow animals" with the boys one night. Have No Fear, God is Near will be a perfect book to read beforehand, since it has shadow animals within the story. Piggy Bank Blessings wasn't my favorite. As a momma reading it to her children, I felt like I was sending them the message that they should save their money to buy me a present. :P Still, it's a good reminder for parents not to judge a child's actions without talking to them, or judging what's in their hearts, based on actions(if that makes sense).

I'm glad I took a chance on this one! Re-reads have already been requested.

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you on Berenstain Bears.
    Some are better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the Berenstain Bears books I read to my kids when they were younger were good. This is the first book of their's that I see that includes God, which is good because many parents don't teach their children about Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost all the ones we have include God, but there's just some things I don't agree with in them, and things that I have to explain to my boys that are wrong. Some I just choose not to read to them at all. (I was surprised that their dinosaur book supports evolution, though I don't recall it being labeled Christian.).

      But, I agree! I love having (semi) real life(ish) stories that incorporate God to help my boys apply things better to their life(like these). :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I absolutely adore the Berenstain Bears! They are my favorite, next to Charlie Brown. I so enjoyed your review! :)

    ReplyDelete