Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Berenstain Bears: Blessed are the Peacemakers by Mike Berenstain




Purchase Link:

The Berenstain Bears Blessed are the Peacemakers (Berenstain Bears/Living Lights)

My Rating: 4/5 stars


My Thoughts:

You may remember a couple of weeks ago, I posted about how The Berenstain Bears are hit/miss for me. Since we enjoyed God Shows the Way, I thought we could give this one a try, too. Also, we recently talked about how Joseph(Son of Jacob) was a peacemaker while he was in prison, attempting to tie that to how we shouldn't fight with our brothers. I thought this book would be a good read to reinforce that lesson.

In Blessed are the Peacemakers, we meet two "gangs". One gang is a group of troublemakers, and one is a group of smart kids. Since Brother and Sister Bear like to get along with everyone, they weren't a part of either group. They become the peacemakers when these two groups are fighting. At one point, the fighting becomes so bad that a few adults have to step in and be the peacemakers.

Bullying is such a tough topic! In this story, Brother and Sister step in between two *groups* of fighting bears and Cousin Fred says a Bible verse, which stops the fight. In reality, that most likely would have bought him a punch in the face, instead of peace. Even so, I think the author did a pretty decent job of getting the message across, especially with such a short read. With bullying, I would recommend to my children that they find an adult, if possible, especially when so many others are involved. Of course, I don't ever want them to stand by and do nothing at all. They're still so young(Grasshopper isn't an average 5 year old) that I haven't really got into what they should do if someone is being bullied. Again, it's a tough topic, and there's so many possibilities to consider.

For the most part, I focused on how we don't fight with our brothers, and how we don't make fun of others because they are different than us, or like different things. We're all God's children. Grasshopper is very sensitive to things like that. Typically when I explain that we don't say certain things that could embarrass or hurt someone's feelings, he takes it pretty seriously. I like when books like these give us openings to discuss different topics that don't come up in everyday life for us. With many things in life, it's better to discuss things before it happens, as opposed to after. (There's also some discussion questions listed in the back.)

Overall, while not perfect, I appreciated this book and the discussions that resulted from it.

*I was provided a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. Cool. I should look it up. Joseph is someone that I really want to learn from. His ability to forgive blows me away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The BB's are hit and miss for me as well. It's good to know that you liked this particular title. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I remember reading these! They were some of my very favorite childhood books; they still make me smile if I happen to pick one up - they're just THAT cute. :)

    ReplyDelete