Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Playing Catch-Up

My computer is such a pain right now that I have a hard time motivating myself to write up my thoughts about the books I've read. (I DO spend entirely too much time on the internet via my KindleFire, though!) But, I get so mad at myself when I don't at least write *something* to look back on, to give me an idea of what was going through my mind when I read it. It's nice for re-read comparisons! So, for the next few days, my hopes are to really focus on catching up and starting fresh with "book thoughts". Hopefully, there will be several coming through in the next week or so. The Tyndale Reading Program ends August 31st, and I want to get my posts sent through before that ends. Also, Annette's Summer Reading Challenge(Emma by Austen) and Austen in August(Austenland and Just Jane, if I finish in time)posts need to go up before the end of the month.

For this post, I'm catching up with a few "4 star" reads that I've finished over the last couple of months. (These were all mentioned in my last "Nightstand" post.

First up,



The Body in the Library: A Miss Marple Mystery (Miss Marple Mysteries) by Agatha Christie

This is only my second book of Christie's to read, but I want to read them all now. I love her style of writing, and I love the little challenge to my brain. Being a stay at home mom is wonderful in many ways, and such a blessing, but it does get "routine", if that's really possible with 3 little ones. I've grown to greatly enjoy mysteries, especially Christie's, and the joy of trying to figure out "who did it".

One thing about this book that made me especially fond of it was the fact that Christie includes her own name in a list of famous authors within the story. There's one scene where a little boy is bragging about the famous author signatures he has, and Agatha Christie is included in the list. I had to stop a moment and make sure I was reading what I thought I was, and then I smiled. It shows the author's sense of humor, and made me more fond of her. She's on my list of authors that I want to read more about concerning their lives outside of being an author.

Just in case you're wondering: No, I did not guess correctly.

After finishing the story, and being horribly sick one day(several days!), I decided to watch the movie based on The Body at the Library. It was fun! Of course, there were lots of little additions and subtractions, but it stayed pretty close to the story. I still recommend the book over the movie, though!

Content: Mild profanity throughout

Next up,



The Giver by Lois Lowry

This was a re-read for me, in anticipation for the movie that just came out in theaters. I told Jonathan that I'd like for us to go see it soon. I was a few months pregnant with Bumblebee the last time we went to the theater. I miss it!

I enjoyed this book much more this time than the first, I think, though the word "enjoy" might be stretching it a bit. I wasn't overly impressed the first time, but it made me think so much more this time around. There were certain parts, like "smacking" children that couldn't pronounce words properly, that really hurt my heart. As a parent with a child that struggled with speech for years, I couldn't imagine "smacking" him for not talking properly. (He still struggles with certain sounds even now at almost 6.) Of course, there were lots of other parts that hurt my heart, but I won't give any spoilers.

This is one of those books I consider a "must read"! It will stretch your mind and make you think and probably appreciate life a little more the way it is.


Next,



Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters

This is another mystery, and another one I enjoyed, and another one I didn't guess correctly concerning "who did it". The next book is on my list and hopefully soon. It was fun and sweet. Amelia is now one of my favorite fictional characters(so far, at least). In many ways, she seems so naive, but she's smart and sarcastic and just fun. I liked her!

Content: I think there was very mild profanity, but honestly, I don't remember if there was any at all for sure. (It's been a few weeks since I finished it.) IF there was, it was mild, or I wouldn't have finished it.

2 comments:

  1. I audioed Body in the Library and really liked it. I always guess wrong too but I love the journey.

    I love The Giver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just picked up The Giver and am anxious to read it - it sounds interesting plus as you brought up, the movie is out. :)

    ReplyDelete