Thursday, August 21, 2014

Austenland by Shannon Hale



Austenland by Shannon Hale

My Rating: 2.5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Since August is the month dedicated to reading Jane Austen(both original and "retellings"), I decided to go ahead and put Austenland on my reading list. I haven't allowed myself to watch the movie until I read the book, and I really want to watch the movie! Plus, I've enjoyed a few of Hale's other books(Book of a Thousand Days, Princess Academy and Goose Girl).

I know a lot of people that have loved this book, so I almost hate to admit how much I didn't like it. At first, I really did enjoy it! (I actually read it pretty quickly!) The more and more I read, though, the more I got annoyed. The longer I spent away from the book after finishing, the more I disliked it.

I don't want to say that I didn't like Jane. I know people in real life that have some of her ways, and I like them just fine. I didn't like her ways, though! She seemed to jump at any guy that looked at her fondly. I *should* have been happy with the ending, but I wasn't. I just felt sorry for a certain person, because Jane was so wishy-washy concerning her men. I was just shaking my head at some of her decisions. (which is really hypocritical of me, considering how wishy-washy I am with my decisions, though not the ones that truly matter!)

Also, though not the reason for my dislike(at least completely), the book was much less innocent than I thought it would be. There's passionate kissing, profanity(though it doesn't pass into the high category), and lots of "not innocent" things, though NO sex. I know some people roll their eyes at me for this kind of stuff, or even get angry in the secular world(I'm NOT judging you!), but I just thought it would be sweeter. As an adult read, I'd definitely still label it as a clean read, though.

I DO still plan on watching the movie, though I don't know when. Trying to rent a movie is so "iffy" for us. :S

I've saw the movie cover, and I know that Jennifer Coolidge plays a part. Though not an actress one would think I'd like, I simply love her as an actress! If it's family friendly at all, and she's in it, I want to watch it. I immediately figured out who she plays in the movie while reading the book. They could NOT have done a better job picking an actress for the part of Miss Charming. To see her part in the movie has me more excited than anything else.

So, overall I was disappointed, but this is such a well-loved book, I still recommend you give it a shot!

*Thanks to my local library for lending me an e-copy of this book to read!

4 comments:

  1. So sad you didn't like it. I'm a big fan. The movie is way more fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, bummer this wasn't for you, Tammy. Loved the movie (so long as it's not taken too seriously it's TONS of fun) and am planning on reading this soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of you have me wanting to make time for the movie sooner rather than later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first I was all, "2.5 stars!!!! I remember liking this one!!!" But I don't remember it in detail and you do raise very valid and noteworthy points against it. :D I don't remember thinking it was a story that I wanted to read over and over again but that I did enjoy once. I had no idea that they had made a movie out of it. I'd probably consent to watch it. ;) Once.

    ReplyDelete