Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Cats of Tanglewood Forest by Charles de Lint, Illustrated by Charles Vess



The Cats of Tanglewood Forest by Charles de Lint

My Rating: 5/5 stars

My Thoughts:

Other than this book, I've only read 2 other books by Charles de Lint. Those two books let me know how much I ADORE his writing style, though. ADORE! Unfortunately, due to the profanity, I've kept myself from reading any of his other books. (My conviction in this area is *not* an easy one!) It has been one of THE hardest things to do. I've said this time and again, but do you know how hard it is to find clean Native American fantasy fiction?! De Lint writes with an amazing amount of folklore weaved into the story, and Native American characters play important roles(of the ones I've read).

I say all of that so you know just how excited I was when I heard that de Lint had written a book for a middle grade audience. I'm talking happy dancing going on, y'all!

I was even more thrilled when I read it. This book is one to be experienced. It's one of those books I firmly believe will be enjoyed so much more as a "real" copy that you can hold in your hands and smell. I borrowed the copy I read from the library(I actually requested they order it), but it's such a treasure, I hope to add a copy to our keeper shelf. Let's just be honest! I want one for MY shelf! ;) The pictures, done by Charles Vess, are gorgeous. This book is packed full of pictures of various sizes. There's even some 2 page spreads of nothing but a large picture. It's just beautiful, and I want to gush about it!

The story was a pure pleasure to read, too. Once again, I was able to enjoy the lovely writing of De Lint, and it just made me happy. There is such a mixture of folklore, I have to be honest and say I probably didn't "get" all the underlying messages/themes/etc. There is magic and witches within the story, but I love that it *seemed* to point out that God is above and beyond any of that. One little sentence in the story concerning God made me stop and smile.

In case you can't tell, I adored The Cats of Tanglewood Forest. I can't gush enough about it. It's officially the newest book on my "hugworthy" shelf, and I can't wait to read Seven Wild Sisters!




5 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of him, but I certainly am curious now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someplace to be Flying is the adult one I read, and it was magnificent!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I meant to go back and refresh my memory on what your thoughts were on this one. Going now! :)

      Delete
  3. yep...I have had to stop reading books because of the profanity.
    Books that could have been good without it.

    ReplyDelete